Mini Keg help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azzda

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have just got a mini keg and as I try to attach the 16g threaded c02 bulb to the regulator the c02 leaks rapidly freezing the bulb and is empty in a few seconds. It seems to be coming out of a small hole in the regulator. Am I doing it wrong is it too tight is it a faulty keg. I like to pointed out I'm a first time kegger and never used c02 bulbs before. All advice for dummies welcome.

Do you have a picture? I am guessing the regulator you are using is designed for the bulbs you are using? I know some regulators require an adaptor to take the 16g bulbs, but I imagine if you bought it as a set/starter kit type thing it should have been ok.

Do you have a picture? I am guessing the regulator you are using is designed for the bulbs you are using? I know some regulators require an adaptor to take the 16g bulbs, but I imagine if you bought it as a set/starter kit type thing it should have been ok.
I will try and post a picture when I'm home. It does fit the thread bulb so I imagine it's the right fitting but I don't know much about this

20200709_123318.jpg

Sorry I am not much help. I just bought one of these types of regulator - having watched a few videos, I gather it's important to, once the bulb is pierced, rapidly tighten the bulb ub against that black seal. Hopefully someone who uses these, or even better who has had the same issue and found a solution, will be along shortly to help out. I'd be intrigued to find out what's going on.

I use the minikegs with a similar (I think) regulator. When you are screwing the bulb in, as soon as you hear the co2 being released, you have to tighten the bulb as fast as possible until the hissing stops. The regulator should be closed otherwise you will hear the co2 hissing into the keg once the bulb is tight enough.

I'm at work at the moment but I'm pretty sure the instructions I had for my first keg said to watch out as the bulbs went very cold once pierced and could cause a cold burn.

Edit: I'm not sure when you say the co2 seems to be coming out of a hole in the regulator - when you are screwing the bulb into the regulator, it is already attached to the keg, isn't it? If it is all assembled then you may have a faulty seal (or not seated properly) or a fault with the regulator itself.

Last edited:
I bought my kegs from Gareth at Dark Farm and he has an excellent page of instructions for someone who hasn't set up or used one of these kegs before (like me!)
Assembly instructions - Dark Farm
I read some where to fit the gas before fitting the reg to the mini keg. But i tried both. Gonna give it another go and see what happens. Just costing me a pound every time I try 🤣

The little hole is there to relieve any trapped pressure when you unscrew the bulb and stops the bulb being ejected with force. I find it helps to lube the threads with vaseline first. Wear gloves or use a cloth or towel to give a good grip and tighten quickly once the gas starts coming out.

The little hole is there to relieve any trapped pressure when you unscrew the bulb and stops the bulb being ejected with force. I find it helps to lube the threads with vaseline first. Wear gloves or use a cloth or towel to give a good grip and tighten quickly once the gas starts coming out.
Ok thanks. So im still not sure if I connect the reg to the keg before I add the c02 or do I fit the gas to the c02 with valve off and then fit it to the keg?

Either way should be good.
I screw the co2 bulb in while everything is attached to the mini keg. That way if the valve gets moved a bit by accident whilst screwing the bulb in you're not going to lose any co2.
I suppose the different each manufacturers setup are slightly different to each other. I have the Dark Farm one and it's quite easy to get the bulb on without losing any co2.
It could always be a faulty item if you have the valve fully closed and are still losing co2 rapidly.

"It could always be a faulty item if you have the valve fully closed and are still losing co2 rapidly. "

He means fully ANTI-CLOCKWISE.wink...wink...

Latest posts

Back