Minimising sediment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
Hello,

I could use some advice, I have been brewing 8 litre BIAB brews, and I have started to make some half decent beer. However, I have had some issues removing sediment.

I have played around with a few different methods, however this what I currently do:

1. Add 1/4 of a Britewort tablet during boil
2. Leave beer in primary for 2 weeks to ferment, then place fermenter into my fridge for 48 hours, to clear the beer.
3. Syphon directly into bottles.

My beer is clear, however I do get quite a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle, which can be tricky when pouring one as the sediment gets disturbed. Plus, It makes them difficult to transport. Can this be avoided/minimised? Would racking in to a secondary help? Any other advice?

Thanks

Use highly flocculant yeasts. I can't abide yeast that doesn't drop out and stay dropped out (on the whole)
Thanks for that, I have been using US-05 yeast.

It drops out, but as soon as I lift the bottle, sediment starts moving. very difficult to pour a clear pint. Can I ask what yeast or brand you prefer?

1. Yes
2. 2 weeks yes but I don't bother with cold crashing
3. I would suggest using a bottling bucket, syphon off the FV into a sanitised bucket (with tap), after adding priming sugar to batch prime. Also buy a bottling wand, fit to tap and bottle from there.
I also add Chitosan (a fining agent) to the bottling bucket, not sure if it helps but I nearly always get clear beer.
I don't know how much sediment you get, but you will always get some as you need the yeast to do it's thing and carbonate the bottle.
After bottling I always give it two weeks in the warm to carbonate and then a month in the cool to condition and let the yeast drop.
Always pour the bottle in one go into a glass and leave the last half inch behind

1. Yes
2. 2 weeks yes but I don't bother with cold crashing
3. I would suggest using a bottling bucket, syphon off the FV into a sanitised bucket (with tap), after adding priming sugar to batch prime. Also buy a bottling wand, fit to tap and bottle from there.
I also add Chitosan (a fining agent) to the bottling bucket, not sure if it helps but I nearly always get clear beer.
I don't know how much sediment you get, but you will always get some as you need the yeast to do it's thing and carbonate the bottle.
After bottling I always give it two weeks in the warm to carbonate and then a month in the cool to condition and let the yeast drop.
Always pout the bottle in one go into a glass and leave the last half inch behind
Thanks for the advice,

I have found after two weeks in the primary, a few of my brews still had large floating yeast rafts/trub at the surface. The chill seems to send it down to the bottom. But, I was unsure just how useful chilling in the primary was.

I think I might start to batch prime and use a bottling bucket, if that will help the situation.

US 05 is my go-to. Many HB's seem to have the same issue with US 05. Here are some things I usually do that might help:
  • Rack to secondary after 2 weeks and then bottle after another week.
  • Leave beer for at least a month to carbonate and condition - "longer for stronger".
  • Always pour the whole contents of a bottle into glass or jug.
  • Stop pouring when you see sediment approaching the lip of the bottle.

Try Lallemand CBC-1. A bottling yeast which kills the yeast in the beer and then does the carbing for you. It then floccs down pretty well. I have used it a few times it has worked well. Whatever I am doing just now is working for me as my last few brews have been really clear.

One thing I added recently was skimming off the top layer of hot break stuff as my wort approaches boiling. That and using a chiller has massively reduced carryover to my FV.

Instead of US-05 try CML 5 from Crossmyloof. Gives a similar end product to US-05 but sticks to the bottle like glue - you can pour all the beer and not get a hint of yeast in it. Also it's about a third of the price if you get 10 direct from CML.

Using a bottling bucket will absolutely minimize sediment in the bottles. When I've done this is has halved the sediment in the bottom of the bottles (there wasnt much in their anyway, so the times I've used a bottling bucket, there was just the thinnest of lines in the bottom). So I've always wondered what would happen if you racked it twice. Would there be virtually no sediment? But I could never be bothered to experiment and find out

Using a bottling bucket will absolutely minimize sediment in the bottles. When I've done this is has halved the sediment in the bottom of the bottles (there wasnt much in their anyway, so the times I've used a bottling bucket, there was just the thinnest of lines in the bottom). So I've always wondered what would happen if you racked it twice. Would there be virtually no sediment? But I could never be bothered to experiment and find out
I suspect you would be in the realms of diminishing returns based on my experience of going to a bottling bucket. If you get to the point where only yeast in suspension makes it into the bottles then you have done all you can do. The rest is done to how the yeast settles out I suppsoe

I suspect you would be in the realms of diminishing returns based on my experience of going to a bottling bucket. If you get to the point where only yeast in suspension makes it into the bottles then you have done all you can do. The rest is done to how the yeast settles out I suppsoe

True. I think they'll always be a smattering of yeast on the bottom of a bottle. No matter how many times you rack it

Bottling bucket is my preferred method. My FV has a tap a few inches from the bottom so with some tubing i can transfer to the bucket with minimal movement.
Some conical FV have an additional tap right at the bottom for yeast collection, i am tempted by one to dump most the yeast/trub out the way once the beer has finished and in theory would result in even less sediment in the bottles...🤔

True. I think they'll always be a smattering of yeast on the bottom of a bottle. No matter how many times you rack it
I have racked clear beer from FV to bottling bucket before, then obviously in theory it's even clearer going into the bottles.

But then post carb that wee layer is there. I always assumed the layer you get wasnt so much yeast in itself, as the by product trubby stuff of secondary fermentation, making it unavoidable. Is that not right?

I have racked clear beer from FV to bottling bucket before, then obviously in theory it's even clearer going into the bottles.

But then post carb that wee layer is there. I always assumed the layer you get wasnt so much yeast in itself, as the by product trubby stuff of secondary fermentation, making it unavoidable. Is that not right?

It'll be yeast thats in suspension that eventually settles out

No and yes. A good proportion will be dormant yeast that’s settled out after doing its job. Hence why some go to the trouble of culturing up the dregs of commercial bottle conditioned beers.

US-05 is a rock-solid attenuator but a lousy flocculator. As others have suggested, switch over to BRY-97 if you can.

Latest posts

Back