Mornin' all ...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikey

Reaction score
spikey here, old git from Sussex about to get back into brewing beer after a few years of kit winemaking. Off now to post a question or two on account of gaps in the old memory!

Cheers, chaps. I'm getting back into it with kits for the time being (Woodforde's Nog, Munton's OEB and Munton's Porter, but not all at once!). We'll see where we go from there this coming winter.

Cheers, chaps. I'm getting back into it with kits for the time being (Woodforde's Nog, Munton's OEB and Munton's Porter, but not all at once!). We'll see where we go from there this coming winter.
Welcome! What sort of quantities will you be producing? Standard 19 liters or smaller?

Beware Muntons kits which come with 6g packets of yeast. There is really not enough yeast in the packet (even Muntons admit this now) and sometimes the brew sticks, so the usual advice is to substitute with another packet of yeast say Wilko Ale yeast. However the yeast itself is OK so if you have more than one kit, replace one 6g yeast pack, but use it to double up with another 6g kit packet on the next Muntons brew (i.e. 12g total).
And if you are just starting with kits you might find this useful.
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum

Not doing much for the time being, GerritT, on account of the 16 demijons of very nice red wine currently sat under the stairs. That needs necking before this time next year, so for the time being, the beer will be mainly for hot summer afternoons and evenings if we get any.

Your tip about the yeast is much appreciated, terrym, as is that link. Thank you.

Not doing much for the time being, GerritT, on account of the 16 demijons of very nice red wine currently sat under the stairs. That needs necking before this time next year, so for the time being, the beer will be mainly for hot summer afternoons and evenings if we get any.

Red wine eh? Ever tried to make Sbiten? That would make you sooo popular when the Arctic winter strikes around Christmas!

Never tried it, but the lady wife speaks Russian and she's into herbs and whatnot, so she might well decide to have a go at that in due course.

I dunno, there's so much booze to try, and so little time left. Mind you, theoretically I'm good for another 10 years, so we live in hope ...

Back