My beers not looking to wel:-(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu brew

Reaction score
Ok I made this beer on Monday and I haven't look at it since I added the yeast Tuesday morning but when iv just looked this is what iv found
d4b78024-3747-a9b9.jpg
so I'm thinking it got infected can anyone confirm this ?

Is it AG?? :hmm:
Looks like you've got loads of break material in, maybe your hop filter isn't doing it's job? ;)

Could be o.k when it's done fermenting but you might end up with an harsh bitterness from the trub.

Does it smelly acidic? (vinegar)

BB

It is a ag brew but I put the hops in bags but it dosnt smell like vinegar

You need the hops to be in the wort whilst boiling,they work as a filter to hold the cold break material in the boiler.

Did you use copper finings?

BB

That looks like a normal fermentation to me. That's krauesen and proteins, etc. Nothing wrong with that. It should die down after fermentation is complete.

Ah, makes sense then. Yes, that's exactly what they look like. My wife saw one of my beers fermenting and refused to drink it when it was ready because she saw it in that form! Congrats on making the switch.

Baz

Agree with Phettebs, that looks normal to me. Depending what yeast you've used it might drop as the fermentation slows down or some of it might stay up there. At some point when you think the main ferment's done you might want to rack off into another FV and leave that lot behind. I do it into the one that has my Little Bottler attached, then leave for a few days & bottle (depending on FG being stable)

stu brew said:
Iv been using bags with a pumped spurge so no need for the filter ;-)
You still need a hop bed filter to remove all the cold break and unwanted proteins or you'll end up with all the filth going in.

BB

What yeast did you use...A bottom worker like S04 sometimes chucks **** to the top like that, Ive had loads of batches look like that and they turn out fine.

When its finished fermenting, if possible, drop it into another FV and add some finings and you will end with a lovely clear beer.

IMAG0249.jpg

ends up like this

IMAG0189.jpg

and between your flaps looks like this

IMAG0190.jpg

:drink:

d4b78024-3747-a9b9.jpg

You could sanitise a metal spoon and skim the dark brown stuff off the yeast head.
As has already been said it can impart a bitter taste if you leave your beer on it too long, just try some :sick:

The only thing I'd be concerned with is waiting so long to pitch the yeast. Why was there such a delay?

In that amount of time you have a sugary syrup environment just inviting wild yeast to infect the wort. That is why it's stressed to cool down as quickly as possible (also get that cold break and eliminate DMS,) and get those healthy yeast cells in there as quickly as possible with sufficient O2 in solution.

If I have a lag time of over 5 hours I start to worry, and begin thinking that beer is going to be plant food.

Latest posts

Back