The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, thought i had better stop lurking in the background and join haha

Never really tried home brew until now.

Son bought me a kit for Christmas as he knew i liked cider, basic 23 ltr fermenting bucket bubbler type airlock, hydrometer, thermostat and auto siphon.

Came with Cider Works kit, I was concerned about keeping the temperature correct so I added a fish tank heater and bung to regulate the temp. I stay In Dumbarton area about 20 miles west of Glasgow so was not confident my house be warm enough during the night etc

All seemed to go fine followed the instructions, it bubbled away smelt gross for a few days then settled down, left it for 2 weeks going by my calculations came out about 5.6%. The kit came with a small sweetener sachet added that at the start as well.

I wanted carbonated so like commercial stuff, picked up a 2nd fermentation bucket and added priming sugar and bottled in PET bottles left for 2 or 3 weeks came out clear and fizzy!

Taste is ok a bit thin, can taste there is alcohol not sweet but not bitter perfectly drinkable, those who have tried it say its like old school scrumpy apparently.

I then found this site and well Turbo Cider was to be the next thing but in a 5 ltr dj.

3 ltr Asda Apple Juice
1 ltr Asda Mango Juice
EC-1118 yeast
1 tsp pectolose
started 250g sugar raised 750g sugar

I forgot to add the tea and half way thought sod it add more sugar and try a wine!

racked after a couple of weeks as had big head on it and some sediment, in 5ltr plastic DJ with airlock just now let it clear for a couple of weeks then add Clear It and bottle hopefully carbonate 2 bottles and bottle the rest as still.

Current brew not long on a crack at White Wine from the recipe on here

2 ltr Apple Juice
200g Sultanas
20g oak chips
700g Sugar
EC 1118 Yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp glycerine
1 tsp pectolose
1 tsp mixed acid
added water to neck of DJ, SG 1094

Hi all, thought i had better stop lurking in the background and join haha

Never really tried home brew until now.

Son bought me a kit for Christmas as he knew i liked cider, basic 23 ltr fermenting bucket bubbler type airlock, hydrometer, thermostat and auto siphon.

Came with Cider Works kit, I was concerned about keeping the temperature correct so I added a fish tank heater and bung to regulate the temp. I stay In Dumbarton area about 20 miles west of Glasgow so was not confident my house be warm enough during the night etc

All seemed to go fine followed the instructions, it bubbled away smelt gross for a few days then settled down, left it for 2 weeks going by my calculations came out about 5.6%. The kit came with a small sweetener sachet added that at the start as well.

I wanted carbonated so like commercial stuff, picked up a 2nd fermentation bucket and added priming sugar and bottled in PET bottles left for 2 or 3 weeks came out clear and fizzy!

Taste is ok a bit thin, can taste there is alcohol not sweet but not bitter perfectly drinkable, those who have tried it say its like old school scrumpy apparently.

I then found this site and well Turbo Cider was to be the next thing but in a 5 ltr dj.

3 ltr Asda Apple Juice
1 ltr Asda Mango Juice
EC-1118 yeast
1 tsp pectolose
started 250g sugar raised 750g sugar

I forgot to add the tea and half way thought sod it add more sugar and try a wine!

racked after a couple of weeks as had big head on it and some sediment, in 5ltr plastic DJ with airlock just now let it clear for a couple of weeks then add Clear It and bottle hopefully carbonate 2 bottles and bottle the rest as still.

Current brew not long on a crack at White Wine from the recipe on here

2 ltr Apple Juice
200g Sultanas
20g oak chips
700g Sugar
EC 1118 Yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp glycerine
1 tsp pectolose
1 tsp mixed acid
added water to neck of DJ, SG 1094

I'm just along the road from you in Alexandria 👍