New Member!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebaron1974

Reaction score
Hello. Thought I'd introduce myself! I am a 45 year old father of 5 from Suffolk who is taking his first steps in homebrewing. Due to lack of space I have a small 5l kit which I have used to produce one batch of IPA from a kit. Very drinkable! The second batch went badly and was poured away.....smelt awful! Maybe I should have bottled it and took a chance?

I have just purchased an all grain kit from Ale Smithing Homebrew which I plan to play with at the weekend! Hopefully I won't turn the kitchen into the sticky mess I managed last time (stovetop pot was far too small!!)

Other than that there is very little to tell. I'm a big fan of hop bombs and American IPA's so hopefully I can brew myself a few bottles one day and fill the fridge!

I will keep a close eye on the forum and no doubt ask some really stupid questions!

Take care and keep safe!

D (thebaron1974)

Welcome to the forum thumb

Ask away we don't consider any questions dumb and you will always get an answer.

Probably, especially if it was only 5L. I often think when taking gravity readings that it smells off/nasty, only to find after a couple of months in the bottle that it is very good.
Well next time it'll be bottled come what may!!

Hi and welcome to the forum...
I have 4 kids myself and totally understand about space. My oldest lad 16 seems to think the garage is his space at night time but forgets who pays the electricity and his wifi for his xbox...

Hi and welcome to the forum...
I have 4 kids myself and totally understand about space. My oldest lad 16 seems to think the garage is his space at night time but forgets who pays the electricity and his wifi for his xbox...
As do all sixteen-year-olds, me (a while ago) and you too. At least while he's in using your lecky, he's not out raising hell, causing diplomatic incidents down at the corner shop or repopulating the universe. But what do I know, only having had three? Slacker that I am!

When i was a teenager all the local lads took a very keen interest in my dads home brew activities.I wonder why:beer1:

As do all sixteen-year-olds, me (a while ago) and you too. At least while he's in using your lecky, he's not out raising hell, causing diplomatic incidents down at the corner shop or repopulating the universe. But what do I know, only having had three? Slacker that I am!
Oh don't get me wrong as he's a good lad but hormonal at the moment with a bit of a sloppy attitude..

Hello. Thought I'd introduce myself! I am a 45 year old father of 5 from Suffolk who is taking his first steps in homebrewing. Due to lack of space I have a small 5l kit which I have used to produce one batch of IPA from a kit. Very drinkable! The second batch went badly and was poured away.....smelt awful! Maybe I should have bottled it and took a chance?

I have just purchased an all grain kit from Ale Smithing Homebrew which I plan to play with at the weekend! Hopefully I won't turn the kitchen into the sticky mess I managed last time (stovetop pot was far too small!!)

Other than that there is very little to tell. I'm a big fan of hop bombs and American IPA's so hopefully I can brew myself a few bottles one day and fill the fridge!

I will keep a close eye on the forum and no doubt ask some really stupid questions!

Take care and keep safe!

D (thebaron1974)

Hi D,

My first homebrew (apart from cider from juice) is in the small FV - I bought a 5l kit from Alesmithing as well. So far so good !!

Which one did you get? I've got Pioneer Gold.....thought they looked good value and had a little chat to one of the guys on Facebook and hes very helpful!

Which one did you get? I've got Pioneer Gold.....thought they looked good value and had a little chat to one of the guys on Facebook and hes very helpful!

I went with Shipwright IPA and did the same on FB Messenger. I think I cocked it up by stirring during cooling so going to leave in FV for a while longer so it hopefully settles and rack it too. All in the name of learning eh?

Get it going Chris the sooner the better.

Many of us come up with novel solutions in our hobby,You will find yours,just keep a stiff tiller into the wind athumb..

Latest posts

Back