Next homebrew investment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Next investment

• Total voters
Have as think about what you get out of your current brewing method, in terms of pleasure. I've been brewing with a 15L pan for 9 years, in the early days I thought about getting an all-in-one system, then realised I actually enjoy the manual process with the pan. The fancy gear may produce great beer but feels a bit like using a bread machine to me, I'd rather do it manually.

Put yourself out of your misery and do both.:laugh8:
We all know he will eventually. Let’s face it, when we are choosing between two things, we’re really just working out how we can structure both purchases in such a way so we can avoid our significant non brewing others finding out and getting annoyed.

I completely understand where you're coming from with your thoughts on brewing with a pan. I've been brewing for a few years now and I too, have considered upgrading to an all-in-one system, but then I realized that the manual process is what I truly enjoy about brewing.

What exactly does an all in one do to make it “too automated?”

You still have to heat the strike water, you still have to mash in, you should still be monitoring the mash, you still have to sparge (unless you are doing a full volume mash but that’s not something that’s exclusive to an all-in-one machine), you still have to add the hops at the correct time, you still have to keep an eye on your boil, you still need to chill the wort, you still need to transfer it to the FV, you still have to pitch the yeast, you still need to monitor the fermentation temperature and still have to package the finished beer.

100% agree - the 5+ hour brew days on my Grainfather don't feel very automated! :laugh8:

A bread maker is completely different to an all-in-one system. With a bread maker you put the ingredients in and then basically set it off for a couple of hours and crack on with your day. When brewing on an all-in-one you still need to tend to it at pretty regular intervals as described above.

I get the point about not wanting an all-in-one system because I’m the same. I like my boiler and separate pumps, buckets, pipes etc. and have never had any interest in an AIO.

I do get that an AIO is basically just a bit of kit that incorporates all the same things I use in one package but because of that fact it feels like more of a “solution” than a set of tools.

Besides, having retired, if it wasn’t for the endless trips to the garage to collect the next thing I need, I’d get no exercise at all. 😉

I like the analogy of an AIO to a bread maker, but I think a better analogy is an electric mixer and electric oven.

You can make bread "by hand" by lighting a fire in your bread oven, maintaining the level of the fire to attain the correct temperature, kneading the dough by hand, baking it and rotating the bread in the oven to get an even bake - but I prefer to use a mixer to knead the dough and letting the fan oven make an even bake. Same with an AIO - it controls the parts of the brew that are fiddly or boring to me.

Iv been doing 20L brews. Small mash with around 3kg of grain then top up with DME in the fermentor. Cheers for the reply 👍🏻
I've been doing this for ages, but I still hanker after a kegerator. I replace my plastic every couple of years and brew a sour with the plastic before it goes into recycling. no worries about infecting future brews. If I was really cunning I could start blending new and 2 yr old sours but that's another thread. Kegerator would take up more space which I don't yet have.

I like the analogy of an AIO to a bread maker, but I think a better analogy is an electric mixer and electric oven.

You can make bread "by hand" by lighting a fire in your bread oven, maintaining the level of the fire to attain the correct temperature, kneading the dough by hand, baking it and rotating the bread in the oven to get an even bake - but I prefer to use a mixer to knead the dough and letting the fan oven make an even bake. Same with an AIO - it controls the parts of the brew that are fiddly or boring to me.
For me I was looking for an auto brewing system as grain related brewing seems complex and absolutely temp control and timings are a pain. Although after a few brews in I got the hang of it so the urge to get an AIO went. If I get to senile brewer stage and forget grain is in the oven or i've not measured/adjusted the temp a fire and forget brewing system will move back up my list.

Latest posts

Back