No sparge apa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higgbot1970

Reaction score
Long time lurker first time poster here!
What's the general feeling on no sparge?
I've got bulldog master brewer and I'm doing an apa and thanks for the knowledge!

If you can do full volume in one go then should be fine. Plenty of biab guys do no sparge and make good beer. I only sparge with about 5 litres now and my efficiency is fine but my grain bill is only about 3.5 to 4.5kg pre 20lt in the fv.

Thanks Crowcrow, I have got the gear to sparge,but I'm thinking if I pump the wort over itself can there be that much more to gain? I might do a little sparge as you say

I do it as it is easy, I just lift up the grain and allow it to drip into the boiler while I wait for that to reach boiling. I do about 5 litres as that fits in the smaller of my largest pans (my proper largest pan is 35 litres) and it is easy to have it ready to jug over while the boiler is heating up.

If I were you I'd still sparge to give the malt the chance to give up more sugar. Biab brewers often need to up their grains as it is less efficient.

What is the reason you'd rather not sparge?

My process is:
Mash with 22 litres of water
Heat sparge water to just below 80c during the last 20mins of mash
Lift the grain basket and allow to drain
Put a colander on top of grain basket
Jug 250ml of hot water at a time into the colander
Remove the grain basket once the boiler hits 100c

I really should collect the further bit of water that leaks out the basket after that but I don't bother.

Last edited:
The reason for no sparge is only a room issue, I'm in my shed and it's tight for room. On a nice day I can set the water boiler outside and use the brewmaster pumps to sparge. I think 🤔

I am a no-sparge advocate, because I'm lazy and it saves time during my brew day, and saves me having another water heater (I too have an all in one system). I get about 70% efficiency which is enough for me.

One of my 'house' beers is an APA based on Sierra Nevada Pale, recipe from their website here Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

I change this slightly as I do a 60 minute boil and I tend to use Faulkner's Flight hops, which is a blend of US 'C' hops, and it always comes out quite nice.

I also do no chill, again because it saves time, saves me from having to clean a chiller and saves water.

I'd agree that it doesn't really matter. If you sparge, you get greater efficiency. If you don't you'll need more grain to hit your OG. But I also suspect that there would be some difference in the final beers.
I've always sparged, using quite a large volume of water over a long time. My efficiency was usually 85% or more. I've just switched to an "all-in-one" system and, for 20l batches, I'll have to sparge only lightly to get my desired final volume. I'm not really concerned that the efficiency seems to be about 74% so far, as its simple to use more grain. But I am a bit concerned that my "old" recipes won't turn out quite the same.
I'd suggest deciding on a methodology that suits you, then sticking to it to get your beers as consistent as possible.

Latest posts

Back