No yeast with me IPA ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coopsy

Reaction score
Just been to collect my Tesco bargain bucket, no nyeast or instructions with me John Bull IPA, I'm non to concerned about the instructions as i guess it's just a standard kit, but is there any particular yeast i can use to compensate, or even improve the brew ?.

"I would give up drinking, but i.m no quitter" :thumb:

Yes, but where will you buy from? Safale S04, Safale US05, Gervin GV12 ale yeast, Munton's active brewing yeast, Young's ale yeast, would all do a good job. Gervin is available from Wilko.

We have a very good H/B/S up here in Gorleston Clibit, i'm sure they stock many yeasts.....http://www.sylkenhomebrew.co.uk/, website down at the moment.....

Which one would you personally recommend ?.

I've just done a brew with Safale-SO5 - it took off like a rocket. What sort of temperature can you keep your brew at? This time of year it can be a struggle to keep it within normal fermentation range...

Dunno really - try one of the Safales. I don't normally recommend S04, but I reckon it would be a good choice.

A fairly steady 22-24 c, unless we hit the 28's - 29's outside, brewing in my shed using a water bath and immersion heaters.......

Not sure I'd use S04 at those temperatures. You want the first 2 or 3 days at 20C or below. US05 probably best. Or Mauribrew 514 Ale yeast, if they have it.

Many thanks Clibit, your a wealth of information, much respect.......
:thumb:

If you expected to receive yeast and instructions with your kit talk to the nice people at Tesco Direct. They may offer you some compensation or a replacement kit.
I have had problems with some of their stuff in the past but their customer service is very good.

On the matter of struggling to keep temperature of the brew low enough. I recently did a couple of wheat beer brews and I knew my normal brewing cupboard would be averaging 20 - 22C and with the yeast warming up the brew anyhow, it would get beyond the ideal. I put the brew in my shed cool and left the door open overnight. This reduced the wort to about 16C going by the strip thermometer on the FV and in the morning, I slipped a sleeping bag on the FV and kept the sun off it. This worked surprisingly well, keeping the temperatures below that of the warm afternoons and not too cold at night. It sort of evened things out at a near ideal level.

Whilst we're on the subject (John Bull IPA), I never brewed a JB kit before, is it worth dry hopping with Goldings ?, i have bout 30g going spare....

Latest posts

Back