Oats

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am contemplating an Oatmeal Stout and using Greg Hughes recipe at the moment. I notice that in his recipe, he lists "Rolled Oats", however in his Malts and Adjuncts table on page 24 he makes no mention of Rolled Oats, only "Flaked Oats", so I looked on Geterbrewed and they list "Flaked Torrified oats"
Just wondering the effect each will have on the finished product and perhaps which is "normal " to use?

I think the difference is that torrified oats are pre-gelatinised, unlike rolled (porridge) oats, but they will both do the same job because rolled oats will gelatinise during the mash. Conversion might be a bit quicker with torrified, but personally I just use el cheapo brand rolled oats.

Flaked and rolled should basically be the same. They’re both squished in a way that should gelatinise the starches.

Torrified oats have been popped, like popcorn.I very much doubt they have any different effect to rolled or flaked.

I wondered actually whether golden naked oats would work well in an oatmeal stout. They have a more pronounced flavour that is nuttier than regular oats, which is much more pleasant than the dirt flavour I get from regular oats in large quantities.

I used to use Scottish porridge oats but found my beers had this funny taste that I worked out was the oats. I have since switched to flaked oats and no issues with the taste

I am going to try pinhead oats on my next batch. I do prefer malted oats to rolled oats, but pinhead oats supposedly give it a little more nuttier of character.

Oh I'm super fussy about my oats - but that's in my morning porridge wink..., never tried them in beer since stout is a) far too calorific and b) gives me heartburn..... think I might be over sharing again... I'll get my coat.

Anna

Oh I'm super fussy about my oats - but that's in my morning porridge wink..., never tried them in beer since stout is a) far too calorific and b) gives me heartburn..... think I might be over sharing again... I'll get my coat.

Anna
Oats are great in a NEIPA or Witbier as well!

I’ve brewed a few oatmeal stouts with the cheapest porridge that I could find in Tesco and the batches turned out great. There’s no need to fork more than you have to.

Oh yeah, one other thing. If you’re using upwards of 500g of oats then I’d recommend putting some rice hulls in the mash because I’ve had a few stuck mash battles and it’s really time consuming and annoying.

I’ve brewed a few oatmeal stouts with the cheapest porridge that I could find in Tesco and the batches turned out great. There’s no need to fork more than you have to.

There is some evidence (see Scott Janish's NEIPA focussed book) that when using large quantities of oats, malted oats reduce risk of oxidising in the beer (vs standard flaked oats). Malted oats are also much easier to use in very large quantities. I moved from supermarket porridge oats to malted oats for this reason, as I regularly brew with 40%+ oats in the bill. Probably not a concern for most people though.

There is some evidence (see Scott Janish's NEIPA focussed book) that when using large quantities of oats, malted oats reduce risk of oxidising in the beer (vs standard flaked oats). Malted oats are also much easier to use in very large quantities. I moved from supermarket porridge oats to malted oats for this reason, as I regularly brew with 40%+ oats in the bill. Probably not a concern for most people though.

Also some info is here, was reading it a bit earlier today.

http://scottjanish.com/case-brewing-oats/

Latest posts

Back