off tastes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grainy

Reaction score
Hi all. So I bottled some ale up 3weeks ago and it was on the strong side, about 7.5%. Let it sit on the the primary for 3 weeks then dry hopped for 4days ,no secondary. What I'm tasting is what I think is strong alcoholic flavor and a slight burn. Should I dump it or drink it?

What yeast did you use and what temperature did you ferment at? What was the recipe?

7.5% will probably need a couple of months in the bottle to mellow out, but if yeast was stressed or too warm during fermentation it could be fusel alcohols.

Leave it another month and have a taste again.

My beers that have been 7% or over have all had an alcohol tang to them so I tend to stick ro beers about 6% or just under now. If you want to drink it early a touch of lemonade will deal with it, or as advised by sponge, you can wait it out if you've got enough in reserve to be getting on with..

Yeast shouldn't produce a lot of burn at that strength but a little perhaps..

Leave it for a few months to mellow. Like Sponge says it could be too many fusel alcohols produced by a stressed or warm fermentation. Let it sit

As everyone else hs said, leave it longer - the stronger the beer, the longer it takes to condition. Just had a 9% Belgian that was horrible when first brewed and has taken 4 months to even be drinkable. Even my latest 5% brew has taken a month to come good.

Hi all. Granny here. Thanks so much for replies and advice. I'm afraid I may have made a mistake posting yesterday about my perception of off flavors in that ale, oops. See I had a head cold and I had been eating HAllS cough drops prior to sampling that beer. SO I'll chalk that one up to "live and learn". Again thank for ya alls input.

Back