Oh My God - say it isn't so! - beer under 5%

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the challenge of pushing the limits is my comfort zone. Have brewed beers from 0.6% to 10.1% so far. Keep meaning to brew a few 5% hoppy Pale ales but always get sidetracked.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I’m the opposite. I’ve never brewed anything over 5.6% (and that was an accident due to higher than planned efficiency), but I’m doing a Belgian Dubbel on Monday at 7.2%.

I'm also the opposite. 3.8% to 4.2% is my comfort zone probably because I'm a quaffer not a sipper!

My bitter has come out at 3.9% (I never add on priming though) so i think that's my lowest abv to date. Got a Scottish 60/- Saison planned at 3.5%. I'm getting used to only having 20 - 40g of hops in my brews, dealing with a bit hop bill would be out of my comfort zone.

My mission is to crack a house bitter, mild and some kind of golden ale, all of which would be around 3.5% yet tasty. Its harder than I had imagined.

Very true. Small beers you have so little to work with. It's a bit like trying to make a good weak coffee or a delicious low-calorie dessert.

<> phew! :rolleyes: - any of you peeps done something out of your brewing comfort zone?

Brewed a lager while I can't lager, but last autumn was cool enough outside so fermenting and conditioning happened on the balcony. It worked, and I'll probably do something like that again when I'm sure the weather permits it.
Though I'm not quite fond of lagers anymore.

Brewed a lager while I can't lager, but last autumn was cool enough outside so fermenting and conditioning happened on the balcony. It worked, and I'll probably do something like that again when I'm sure the weather permits it.
Though I'm not quite fond of lagers anymore.
Brew a bock or a doppelbock. They are also lagers, but with much more taste. Use pilsner malt and munich, nothing else.

Next out-of-comfortzone experience will be a Session IPA (Graham Wheeler page 153). I had a discussion with a colleague yesterday (he ferments veggies and meat) how it was easier to brew a tasty 7+% than a tasty 4-%.
I tasted the Nanny State but it was not to my liking.

edit: yes, Maris Otter, Golden Promise and Vienna or Munich leave more for the tastebuds. Pale ale malt is quite neutral.

Nowt wrong with a good session ale specially when summers coming - and I what something to quench my thirst on a hot summers day when I'm mowing the lawn and chopping the winter firewood! Or just to chill and drink all day on holiday! But i agree its easier for the home brewer to brew an impressive flavoursome strong ale than a good session brew. A session brew spoils easier and can easily be spoilt by an overhot mash or bad water chemistry! But it s a great test of your skills and fortunately most people aren't quite so critical of a beer to be served cold and quaffed all day!

Most of mine are between 5 & 6%. I like the body & flavour you get. Much higher makes me fall over before thirst is quenched

My mission is to crack a house bitter, mild and some kind of golden ale, all of which would be around 3.5% yet tasty. Its harder than I had imagined.

I always used to go flat out with big beers 4.5 - 8% of late I have been aiming more for 3.8% Yorkshire bitters, 4.1% Golden Ales and 4.5% Stouts, I occasionally don't hit the mark but am not usually more than .1% off. I have drifted away from 5+% Pale Ale hop bombs.

Back