original punk ipa attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Y'all

just waiting for my mrs to leave the building then I can get on with the recipe for the original punk ipa.

you'll have seen it in diy dog no doubt but as I'm incapable of following a receipe a.k.a - I like to add my own twist :twisted: here's my version.

3kg extra light dme
500g dwe
mangrove jacks m44 yeast - rehydrated.
100g crystal (leaf - all the rest are pellets)
50g moteuka
100g chinook
50g ahtanum

15 min boil of extract in 5 litres of water with 100g crystal

sieve the hops out

all the others at flameout

chuck in fv, add frozen water etc to fv- job done.

will update the thread with any variations.

note for myqul: no candi sugar at all in this one :shock:

how will I cope?

got temp down to 33 now sitting in water bath, but doesn't smell like punk ipa,

I knew I should have added candi sugar cos that fixes everything :lol:

although the crystal smelt lush out of the bag :grin:

pitching yeast in a bit, will be near 25 deg although it will be in a cool part of the house.

got temp down to 33 now sitting in water bath, but doesn't smell like punk ipa,

I knew I should have added candi sugar cos that fixes everything :lol:

although the crystal smelt lush out of the bag :grin:

pitching yeast in a bit, will be near 25 deg although it will be in a cool part of the house.

"the candi man can (the candi man can)"

'I love the smell of crystal in the morning'

:lol::lol:

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop!

I forgot to take the hop pellets out so they've been in 12 days :oops:

however no grassiness. the run off from the hop bag is punk ipa the original:-D

of course it wasn't clear so the spicy yeasty alcohol character was there, but it's good for bottling this saturday :)

thank u - diy dog

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop!

I forgot to take the hop pellets out so they've been in 12 days :oops:

however no grassiness. the run off from the hop bag is punk ipa the original:-D

of course it wasn't clear so the spicy yeasty alcohol character was there, but it's good for bottling this saturday :)

thank u - diy dog

Exactly how much hops were in there? I suspect it might be like drinking a bottle of fairy liquid (I.E super soapy)?

Exactly how much hops were in there? I suspect it might be like drinking a bottle of fairy liquid (I.E super soapy)?

50g moteuka
100g chinook
50g ahtanum

not soapy at all, I have had soapy commerical brews though. :mrgreen:

If you can really call a hop overloaded beer 'commercial' :grin:

50g moteuka
100g chinook
50g ahtanum

not soapy at all, I have had soapy commerical brews though. :mrgreen:

If you can really call a hop overloaded beer 'commercial' :grin:

Oh, thats good :thumb: When I was trying out the 'leaving the hops in the FV for two weeks', some beers would be soapy, some wouldn't. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it

Oh, thats good :thumb: When I was trying out the 'leaving the hops in the FV for two weeks', some beers would be soapy, some wouldn't. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it

john palmer says "soapy flavors can result from the breakdown of fatty acids in the trub." so if you do have a lot of break material going into the fv that is possibly where it's coming from?

It follows that extract brews are less prone to this. or maybe some grains are more prone to this.

john palmer says "soapy flavors can result from the breakdown of fatty acids in the trub." so if you do have a lot of break material going into the fv that is possibly where it's coming from?

It follows that extract brews are less prone to this. or maybe some grains are more prone to this.

Although it's true I have a lot of trub in my FV I've never had the soapy taste in my beer. Other than when I was leaving th hop debris in the FV for an extended period

Although it's true I have a lot of trub in my FV I've never had the soapy taste in my beer. Other than when I was leaving th hop debris in the FV for an extended period

:hmm: maybe either less trub & loads of hops or in your case loads of trub and less hops?

i could ask my resident chemist about this although it will cost me a few beers ;)

Latest posts

Back