Overrated beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought i read here it used to be a decent pint then went downhill not too many years ago.
I think part of the problem is the insistence on it being served ice cold, it basically renders it tasteless if you leave it to warm up a little I reckon it improves a fair bit, still an average stout but perfectly drinkable.

I don’t drink it often but in certain places it can be the least worst option (think work drinks when the pub is chosen by someone who doesn’t actually drink beer).

Becks, made in Germany so expectations are high but it's quite unpleasant and definitely overrated.

Over hopped monstrosities are unbalanced caricature beers and are overrated too as they struggle to fulfil the promise on the can/bottle.

Woodford Wherry. Absolute pish.
A mate of mine made a wherry as his first ever HB and I was really surprised how good it was, but on the other hand the only batch I've ever drainpoured was a cwtch kit which I know is well rated. Probs all down to freshness and quality rather than style or recipe, like most of the commercial beers mentioned.

Oooo great thread.
I must say I was horribly disappointed when I tried La Chouffe, so I'll dare say that's overrated.

Stella
I don’t understand it’s popularity at all

I think it falls into the "It gets you pi**ed quick mate" category.

1619278341994.png

'I thought i read here it used to be a decent pint then went downhill not too many years ago'. (Chippy)

I believe in 68 cask Guinness was given the ole heave ho.
If you cycled round Ireland for nearly 3 weeks and 'refreshed' on about 3 pints a day with a choice of Smithicks (very poor) or took sustenance from the black stuff you would not be over enamoured with it, (that was in 83.) After that its 'ice' or whatever. Last I read production had dropped by something like a million barrels a year, big companies look at the profit margins instead of the quality aspect .
Still a lot of Irish pubs that dont sell real ale but it is getting better
e

Latest posts

Back