Parts advice: safer kettle element housing/connector

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gudders

Reaction score
I have a salvaged kettle element which works, I've done 3-4 brews on it so far, I see sold for £25+ and they have safer professional looking connection.They also seem easier and simple to remove and clean. What parts do I need for that?

I have no idea what I'm looking for other than an IEC male port. I saw some one using a compression gland but I Think that for was a different element and he wired directly to the back of it. Can I do that with mine?

1000026555.jpg
1000026553.jpg
1000026554.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'll have too, the screws that hold the element and the switch together are a poor metal and strip when turning either way. Thanks for the link, some places are selling elements for £35 so to get a bucket and tap for a few quid moreis good value, and i expect this bucket is more substation for boiling in than a generic fermenter!

Aside from DIY being cheaper I quite like the project. Might get the cheap peco and make my own power controller, plenty of plans to follow!

I think I'll have too, the screws that hold the element and the switch together are a poor metal and strip when turning either way. Thanks for the link, some places are selling elements for £35 so to get a bucket and tap for a few quid moreis good value, and i expect this bucket is more substation for boiling in than a generic fermenter!

Aside from DIY being cheaper I quite like the project. Might get the cheap peco and make my own power controller, plenty of plans to follow!
If you go the DIY route for the power controller, do yourself a favour and get your Solid State Relay (SSR) from a reputable supplier like RS, Farnell, Digikey etc.

Online sellers on eBay or Amazon are notorious for providing falsely re-labelled ones - see https://protosupplies.com/inferior-counterfeit-fotek-ssr-25-solid-state-relays-on-the-market/

Proper ones are more expensive for a reason, and IMHO the peace of mind is worth the money athumb..

It's also very important to mount the SSR on a proper heatsink that allows the circulation of fresh (outside) air: it's no good putting an SSR on a heatsink and then sealing it up in a box.

Last edited:

I started with a Peco. I DIYed an electric keggle using the element from it about a year later (had to get a second element but was great to be able to upcycle the Peco a bit) I love brewing gear projects, there's always something to upgrade and mess around with.

Attachments

• 20240605_134656.jpg
    20240605_134656.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
I have a salvaged kettle element which works, I've done 3-4 brews on it so far, I see sold for £25+ and they have safer professional looking connection.They also seem easier and simple to remove and clean. What parts do I need for that?

I have no idea what I'm looking for other than an IEC male port. I saw some one using a compression gland but I Think that for was a different element and he wired directly to the back of it. Can I do that with mine?

View attachment 100059
I would buy neither and pop some insulation on the terminal connections and then if it you find a plastic lid (think spray paint lid) to cover it.

Very very similar to immersion heaters

Latest posts

Back