Peanut butter oatmeal stout??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a peanut butter RIS for my first all grain, off the back of drinking my first yellow belly, and thinking, OMG I NEED MORE OF THIS!

I added this for the peanut butter flavour (Omnipollo are quite open in saying they use flavour extracts), and IMO it was very close to the flavour you get from yellow belly. I can't remember the grain bill exactly, but It certainly had oats and lactose in. I would probably mash a little higher next time, just to get closer to that thick body that Buxton do so well in their stouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought some pb2 intending to add it in secondary. It does not dissolve well and really needs a lot of whisking to make a milkshake. People seem to add it at the end of the boil. I might drain a few liters in a pan and mix in in properly as i saw a photo where it just collected at the bottom of the boiler.
MM sell the peanut essence which they hint is used in yellow belly. Not used it but the others seem decent.

Starbeer by Beer Ink is a great Peanut butter stout that shouldn't be too hard to find and is reasonably priced. I saw away a couple of pints at the York Beer Festival in September as I remembered it being excellent from the previous years festival!

When me and my friends first tried the peanut butter abomination I created it tasted like diesel n peanuts, light on the peanuts. Yeah, really had that solventy thing going on, then a slight something that wasn't just there to punch your gag-reflex as hard as it could.

Months later as past of a midnight binge, already pretty drunk, wanted more, only one left standing**, and let's not waste the good beers on drunk boy, I took a few (six) of the **** brews downstairs and some of them were awful. I will never age a kilo of dry hopped orange peel out of one gallon of Jaffa Cake beer. No. Mix with pop... good now? NO!

Then I had the peanut butter chocolate thing I'd written off and it was jarring at first but then as it went on it completely settled in. It was chocolatey and the peanut was there, but a bit salty and I thought yihhhhhh at the salt at first, then I finished it while playing StarFox 64***, opened another bottle and realised I wasn't fighting back. It had almost become a thing. A few days later I listened to a podcast about gose (like the Gozerian) beers and getting the salt level right was really important it really made my pretty bad beer seem like it could be a thing. Really.

I only brewed 8 bottles and have 4 left and I want to try them with my friends again but mix in a bit of verbal cabaret (lies lies lies!) to see if I can get them to think it's something new, exciting, radical, cutting edge, don't make ya spewwwwww.

Not sure I could see it in a pub, but then you get salted peanuts in a pub. Just googled 'Pork scratchings beer' doesn't seem to be there - oh god, don't make me do it.

**shuddup, you shall not get me on a technicality.
***Ooh look, he's adding to the narrative, and making himself look like a bellend.

I love MM. ut I have to say that their Peanut Butter tastes and smells extremely chemical like, I think its pure extract but I tried putting a sample in a glass with a base stout and it was too harsh and astringent.

I love MM. ut I have to say that their Peanut Butter tastes and smells extremely chemical like, I think its pure extract but I tried putting a sample in a glass with a base stout and it was too harsh and astringent.
I hope not I have some going in a stout this weekend

Haven't used the MM PB extract but was keen to try it in future. I've used the LorAnne oils PB extract and was a bit underwhelmed by it. I used quite a high dosage and felt the aroma was only just there, noticeably artificial and not overly distinguishable as peanut butter. In terms of flavour, there was none to speak of really. Could be my palate or usage of the extract of course. I would make another peanut butter beer in future but I think the way to go would be use both PB2 in the boil/secondary as well as dosing with a flavour extract.

I used Capella Peanut Butter v2 flavour. About 2 quid of Ebay and its a ringer for Yellow Belly.
Id seriously test the MM one first stig

I bought some of the other flavours from MM. Last night i was experimenting adding some to a pale ale. I thought the mango added a little bitterness. It unbalanced the beer, worked in a wheat but not something hoppy. The raspberry was better. Also have the hazelnut but as people say its artificial.
I will report back once i have used the PB2. I need to work out how much sugar is in it first. As i said though it takes a heck of a lot of stirring to dissolve in milk. I just cant see how i could add it in secondary.
I have just ordered some of the stuff @Braindead mentioned.

10ml.
But on the other hand I tried the maple and only needed. a few drops.

Stig don't just go off what I say, you may think MM peanut is fine, but others on the FB commented about the chemical flavour and it really wasn't for me. Let the wife do a comparison too as she's got a killer palate compared to mine and she agreed his wasn't right and the cappella was nice. It really is a ringer for yellow Belly

Back