Percentages?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 12974

Reaction score
So, this is the question.

I have seen some malts that are recommended in a maximum percentage, lets say, of course base malts could be used up to 100% that's pretty obvious and normal. Then we have some malts that are recommended to be used up to 10 or 20%.

My question is what do you know or what do you think about mixing for example 50% of base malt with 5 malts indicating maximum 10% each.

In my opinion, if I have 5 malts used in a maximum 10%, using them as a total of 50% (10% x 5) will be something wrong.

On the other hand using them as 2% each in order to obtain a total 10%(2% x 5) wont be enough of these malts in order to impart their particular characteristics.

So, what do you think?

I think my example could be very exaggerated, but I'm trying to make my point clear. I have some recipes with more than 9 different kinds of malts.

I would like to know about your experience and knowledge about this.

Thank you all in advance for your participation.

Òðinn.

I am no expert at all, but malts that are flavoring malts will be strong. So, I would think they mean to keep the flavoring malts to under 10% of you will get some harsh flavors.

That said it is your beer and it is all about experimenting, and then seeing if you can stand drinking it. LOL. It will only be wrong if you say it is wrong. If one is sweet and the other chocolate (as an example) then you may be able to use 10% each.

Last point, it might be a good idea to start conservatively, and go with only 3-4% each. If that brew turns out, but is not strong enough, start ramping up your strong malts.

Good luck!

I'm with unconnected. It's a bit like making a chilli. Your beef and beans may be your base malts, so increasing your tomatoes, chillies, cumin, onions, garlic, salt etc... is a risk you need to take. Sometimes a good risk though, as it's your chilli after all :-D

Some malts will clash with eachother resulting in a pretty awful flavoured beer if the balance is off.

The recipes with multiple malts should state the percentage getting lower and lower through the grain bill structure depending on the malts used.

Over malty beer never has a truly clean taste and can be cloying as you drink it (which isnt nice and you cant usually drink more than a couple)

ie

60%
10%
10%
5%
5%
3%
3%
2%
2%

I like stesmi's way of comparing a beer to a dish.

Too many flavourings will be overpowering. It's that simple.

I once had a porter with 13 different grains in it (can't remember what it was) it tasted really nice but I think you REALLY have to now what your doing, doing this kind of thing

agree with myqul re this, porters are pretty complex beers with big grain bills and are generally left to mature for months on end

Remember also that most speciality malts have a much lower if not zero fermentability. Therefore if you were only to use, say, 50% base malt then only 50% of your sugars would actually ferment. To put this into perspective if you start at 1.050 with a good yeast you might actually finish fermenting at 1.030. You would probably have to chew this beer rather than swig it!

Hi Brewtus, I'm sorry I don't get it. I was pretty sure that if I use base malt it would help converting the sugars from the malt without a high converting power. could you explain me what do you mean?
I don't think it works like that to be honest. that just 50% of the sugars will be converted if I use 50% of base malt?

Hi Brewtus, I'm sorry I don't get it. I was pretty sure that if I use base malt it would help converting the sugars from the malt without a high converting power. could you explain me what do you mean?
I don't think it works like that to be honest. that just 50% of the sugars will be converted if I use 50% of base malt?
I think you are probably right, in a mash some sugars can be pulled from the specialty malts. But some of them are roasted so far that not much sugar is left.

Specialty grains are there to impart their colour and flavour and you only need a subtle amount for these characteristics to come out.

For example and this is a rough but basic example you might have a grain bill with 5kg pale malt such as Maris Otter and then about 500 grams of crystal malt. the 450 grams of crystal malt will give the beer is sweeter caramel flavour. That alone is enough for it to be balanced.

Now think of the same but instead we are going to have 2750 grams of Maris otter and 2750 crystal.

It is like the example someone put earlier in the thread about cooking a chilli, what you'd be doing is replacing half the mince with garlic

Latest posts

Back