Pet hates and food

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured out (I think) that a dippy egg is a soft-boiled eggs. I know this is anti-topic but strips of buttered toast dipped in that was heaven. Can't say I loved scooping out and eating the cooked white section but it was part of the deal. My mom used actual shot glasses, the thick ones, for the egg before I was old enough to know those weren't official egg holders.

I have been in turkey on holiday and spent 2 days in an un airconditioned bathroom doing the Turkish trots oh and you can’t flush your toilet paper it has to go in the bin and the maid comes every 2nd day
Ugh. Bad on top of bad. That sounds worse than what I had. My misery was measured in hours (maybe three or four).
Cooks not following code drives me crazy, even something missing like a beard net.

I figured out (I think) that a dippy egg is a soft-boiled eggs. I know this is anti-topic but strips of buttered toast dipped in that was heaven. Can't say I loved scooping out and eating the cooked white section but it was part of the deal. My mom used actual shot glasses, the thick ones, for the egg before I was old enough to know those weren't official egg holders.
Exactly that very much a childhood favourite, one of those things where you need to get the timing roughly right right so the white is firm and the yolk runny and yes it is heavenly.

On topic: I have "peeves" but no "hates" unless we're talking about people getting bodily fluids in the food, handling food after going the bathroom without washing hands. Both instances actually observed.”

Touched on 2 of my biggest fears here Dave
A number of years ago I did some work in a new shop below a Chinese restaurant and in order to switch on the new supply to the new shop I had to go into the kitchen during service. On the hob was 4 large pots of various Chinese sauces all being stirred by a large Chinese man who was leaning over the front 2 pots to stir the back pots. The problem was he was sweating heavily and the sweat from his head/face was dripping into the front pots 🤢.
the offer of a free lunch was swiftly declined

the other is going into a public toilet and having the person p*ssing beside you finishing and then opening the door without washing his hands. when this happens to me I normally wait to the door opens and then bolt out without touching anything. It’s even worse when your in a restaurant and you see the person then eating bread with their hands:vomitintoilet:
I think one of the scary things with the rise of ordering delivery via apps is I often have no real idea where the takeaway actually is and just how much (or how little) they care about food hygiene. Point in favour of home cooking I know that I have washed my hands (and washed them again after handling raw meat) and again when I can’t remember did I touch that board I cut the chicken on? better wash them again. Food poisoning is a miserable experience and I would rather be thought of as an obsessive clean freak than get it.

I could write a book on the stuff I don't like and why - but the worst invention known to man (for me) is porridge. Why would you want to eat sloppy chewy cat sick? YUK!

While I'm here, broad beans, baked beans, mushy peas, and anything milky I can't abide either. Think custard, rice pudding etc etc. GIP! 🤢

My annoyances would include;

• Sit down food served on something that isn't a plate.
  • Overcooked steak. I fully understand that serving a steak blue or rare is a skill. If you don't have it, don't offer it.
  • Rubbish salads. I good salad served with something simple, like a grilled chicken breast is lovely. Limp, prewashed and chopped rabbit food isn't.

I could write a book on the stuff I don't like and why - but the worst invention known to man (for me) is porridge. Why would you want to eat sloppy chewy cat sick? YUK!

While I'm here, broad beans, baked beans, mushy peas, and anything milky I can't abide either. Think custard, rice pudding etc etc. GIP! 🤢
The beans that squeak when you eat them 😱

Eggs are my pet hate. Yes I hate them, and won't eat anything resembling eggs, but what annoys me most is their prevalence.
Go to Pret *every* sandwich has mayo in, even the vegan ones have vegan mayo!
The amount of times I've asked in food establishments for 'no mayo' only to receive mayo is mind boggling.

Eggs are my pet hate. Yes I hate them, and won't eat anything resembling eggs

Now that's not normal ;)

1643998076840.png

@obscure
Here, unaddressed health issues have been present for as long as there have been restaurants.
The only solution I have, as a customer, is to buy from the more expensive places where the employees are making it a career and one that pays. Even that isn't foolproof but it's better.

My wife doesn't like the egg taste, doesn't like mayo. I love both.
I can make an omelet where there is virtually no egg flavor by using vegetables, especially sautéed garlic and onion. She's still not interested.

My wife doesn't like the egg taste, doesn't like mayo. I love both.
I can make an omelet where there is virtually no egg flavor by using vegetables, especially sautéed garlic and onion. She's still not interested.

My eldest son eats both of those by the bucket load - mind you he's 6 foot 3 and built like a brick sh!t house lol

Sit down food served on something that isn't a plate.
I agree. Reminds me of a story.
We were doing inventory in the restaurant which includes counting all the plates. Someone piled them up on counters that weren't meant to hold too much. The whole shelving came crashing down, destroying thousands of dollars of dishware. We served food that day on paper plates and claimed a picnic theme.

I agree. Reminds me of a story.
We were doing inventory in the restaurant which includes counting all the plates. Someone piled them up on counters that weren't meant to hold too much. The whole shelving came crashing down, destroying thousands of dollars of dishware. We served food that day on paper plates and claimed a picnic theme.

That's brilliant! 😂

I mean your resourcefulness obviously!

Latest posts

Back