Plum & Apple wine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail59

Regular.
Reaction score
Found this Recipe on the web for Plum and Apple wine. Im going to give it a go as I have some Plums in the freezer from last years crop and the Mother in Law has sent us about 10lb of Apples.

Ingredients:

4lbs Plums
4lbs Apples
Juice of a Lemon
2 tins white grape juice concentrate
2 gallons water
Sugar - amount as needed below
All purpose wine yeast
Yeast nutrient 2 teaspoons
2 crushed camden tablets
Pectolic enzyme (optional - I got away without using it but it might go cloudy on you. If it does you can always add the Pectolase later)

Can I replace the concentrate with grape Juice or can I just use the juice from the Apples and Plums.

How much will this make? Three gallons? I would substitue the concentrate for red grape juice - the concentrate will add a bit of body (maybe) but is quite exspensive. You could just ferment the plum / apple juice if you wish, i`ve done straight plum and straight apple before - very nice as well :drink:

Stick the pectalose in - apple is high in pectin and could cause a haze, did it give a method? Quite a few ways you could go about this.

:D

If you've got juices from fruits plus concentrate plus 2 gallons of water plus sugar bulking you're going to end up with a 3 gallon brew there, unless you make it “water to 2 gallons’.

For a 3 gallon brew there ain't enough fruit :nono:

Make it about 6 lbs plums + 9-10 lbs apples, maybe use somered grape juice as a substitute for some of the water and chop in a bag of raisins as a substitute for the concentrate.

Use cold water only + 3 CTs and pitch yeast after 24-36 hours.

As Rick says, pectolase shouldn't be optional.

This is the method given.

Method:

Wash and cut the apples into rough slices - do not core or peel.
Wash Plums and put into the fermenting bucket with the apples. Pour over the boiling water and stir.
Add crushed camden tablets
Leave covered with a lid for 4 days, stirring daily.
Strain through a jelly bag and measure the juice.
To each gallon of juice add 2½lbs of sugar dissolved in a pint of hot water.
Add the 2 tins of grape concentrate, lemon juice and Pectolase (if used).
Add the yeast activated with the yeast nutrient.
Mix well and pour into demijohns allowing a good gap for the fermentation froth. Fit fermentation locks and stand in a warm place.
Rack into clean demijohns as necessary.
Test at intervals for specific gravity - a top up of sugar may be desirable if you want a sweeter wine.
This quantity made 4 demijohns full - about 24 bottles.

Made 15% alcohol with an all-purpose wine yeast.

I was only looking to do a Gallon??????????.

That method will work fine - some people say that boiling water over the plums can cause a haze in the wine however i`ve never suffered this. The amount of sugar per gallon is very high - typical 60`s recipe :shock:

if you only want to do a gallon then scale back the ingredients and freeze down what you don`t need - personally I`d get it all on ;)

Have a gander at one of my old posts;
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3895
Ginger optional but worked well - i`ve done apple wine in a bucket - just chopped and left then strained and sugar etc added, the more apples for this the better :thumb:

That looks and sound great Rick. Think I might just use the plums and give the Plum & Ginger a go. Been bramble picking so the apples will go in a Bramble and Apple pie and should have enough to get a nice Blackberry wine done. Last years is a cracker.

Latest posts

Back