Pressure keg - when is too much, well too much?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Edwards

Reaction score
I've currently got a Whit Beer in a pressure keg. Followed all the instruction of the kit (it's a pretty decent high-end extract kit). It's about 10 days into the secondary fermentation with brewers sugar and I've had a few cheeky tastes and all is good. What I have noticed is that the pressure seems a touch too high. If you're heavy handed on the tap (I'm being disingenuous here - it's actually difficult to go gently) you can quickly end up with a glass of foam.

I guess my options are to vent the pressure by opening up the lid. I know it's a standard pressure lid, but it doesn't seem to be releasing.

Or am I being too sensitive and should I wait out the 14 days and then have another look? Any tried and tested advice or tips people can share?

If the keg is rocking on its base due to swelling up them the beer has either been keggrd to early or over over primed,and needs to be vented.if the cap is just a standard cap without the gas injector valve in it then it needs venting by the method you have stated,ie loosen the cap slowly until you here the gas escaping and the keg returns to its proper shape,obviously leaving some gas inside of it

Latest posts

Back