Pub quality extract kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewfferm and mangrove jacks are the only kits I tend to do these days. Most of the brewfferm take a while to mature. abdij 6+ months for example. I doubled up on their RIS kit and its not ready yet.

I find DIY Extract Wheats almost as easy as kits.
Boil 100g tettnang pellets in water for 10 mins & leave to cool for 30 mins.
Strain into fermener.
Top up to 12 litres and stir in 3kg of dried wheat extract.
Top up to 21 litres of water - pitch MJ Bavarian wheat yeast.
You have wheat beer in 3-4 weeks. 2 weeks to ferment then a week or 2 to carbonate. I tend to use 160g of wilkos brewing sugar in 21litres.

I'm going to give that a go,what temperature do you ferment that at?

I'm going to give that a go,what temperature do you ferment that at?
There's a range of temps Ive done it at 21 and 25 are my usual temps dependant on the time of year I make it. The yeast itself is 18-30 (not club 18-30 - that's something completly different)

p.s. I use bottled water rather than campden tablet and tap water. And I store a bottle or two in the freezer an hour or two to adjust the water temp in fv as necessary. on the odd occasion when it's low I can quickly heat up some bottled water in the kettle.

Last edited:
Cheers,was thinking about 22.
Club 18-30 ah just about remember those days .

You will never get a lager kit that's any good. And people who say "Well I did wilko cerveza and it was great!" you know would be happy drinking a cup of cold marmoset p*ss and data they give on anything you'd normally put in your mouth is to be silently excluded.
I did once with a Coopers European lager and their own Beer Enhancer. It was just right. Unfortunately, it was the only time, which makes my success rate 1 in 5 for lager.

I've had good results with golden ale kits and stouts. My son did a blind test with an expensive bottled stout and my St Peters and the one that was preferred was mine. He's also noticed that fruit flies head for my opened bottles rather than those of bought beer. I defer to their millions of years of experience.

Another point, many breweries use extract too. How many of us can tell the difference between all grain and extract in a pub?

Last edited:
I did the hoppy IPA, I used a kg of brew enhancer(from wilkos) . Turned out ok but not much hop aroma or hop taste.If I was doing it again I'd dry hop it to add a bit of 'je ne sais quoi'. @DavieC. Youre my name double !!

Thanks Baron,can go with cerveza point as first kit I done,was for the wife.She had one sip and handed it straight back to me.

I thought the same when I did one. Tried another bottle a month later and it was great.

can you post more photos? Looks great. Is it in a shed? Or part of the house? is it beer or cider?
Hi Kelper - thanks. It's an outbuilding in the garden. Usually farmhouse cider on tap in the summer, beer all other times. acheers.
The Mill outside.jpgThe Mill rams end.jpgThe Mill bar.jpg

Yikes! I did do a Wilko cerveza kit and it turned out great...I did add 500g DME, Wilko(Nottingham) ale yeast and a 50g cascade dry hop ,so turned it into a hoppy pale ale. The Festival premium kits are well worth a look, I've only done two but both gave good results.

Festival make the best kits I’ve tried yet. Remember, sanitation and temperature control are essential. Get a heat mat and a temperature controller and your beer quality improves 100%.

Cheers Davie,mat and a belt on order.Been brewing in kitchen which is a fairly constant 20c.Going to sort shed out to use that for brewing so belt and mat will get well used.I clean and sanitise everything twice and wear sterile gloves.

Latest posts

Back