"Pulling in the grain bed" with single vessel systems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonBrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help/offer views on this.

I'm a BIAB brewer and have never sparged. I'm in the process of building a single vessel recirculating system based on BrewPi. Although I've never sparged, I've often heard that a stuck sparge can be caused by running off to fast after recirculation causing the grain bed to compact and become unspargable (is that a word?). I believe this is referred to as "pulling in the grain bed".

It got me thinking that, as I do BIAB, I must be effectively must be doing this every time I lift the grain bag out of my brew kettle. Then that thought led me to thinking that this must surely be an issue in any single vessel system that's based on BIAB, i.e. the Grainfather, where a grain basket is lifted out of the kettle and generally rested on top before sparging begins.

I've had a look at the instruction manual for the Grainfather and cant see that they suggest doing anything special when lifting out the basket, such as doing it really slowly, to prevent the grain bed from compacting.

Anyone able to offer any insight into whether or not this is a problem with single vessel systems and/or how these systems combat it? I've always heard people rave about the efficiency they reach with the Grainfather so I'm assuming it cant be that big a deal, that or there's something about the Grainfather that stops the grain bed from being pulled in?

Cheers

If your going to recirculate a BIAB the bag should be supported is some sort of basket so it's off the walls of the pot. If you don't do it that way you stand a high chance of either a stuck a sparge or having to reduce the recirculation flow rate to the point where it does little good. It only controls temperature anyway it's not going to do very much.

If you go over homebrewtalk you should be able to find some pictures.

Aamcle

Back