quick check on priming sugar amounts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizurd

Reaction score
Evening all,

Quick question. I'm going to be batch priming my first AG brew tomorrow. Should be around 19 L and it fermented on average at 18C I think.

Its an english brown ale so the calculators ive used have suggested 74 grams of priming sugar (dextrose).

does that sound about right to you lot?

Cheers

Sounds about right.

I've pretty much done 80g per brew as I've donen several similar brews or kits that came with priming sugar.

I'm already stressing about carbing the wheat beer I have planned correctly...

At least twice as much in a wheat beer I think....I've got at least 3 weeks to read up and check various priming calendars.

May leave them all to slowly condition in the shed to be safe of any bottle bombs inside.

Yer at three times the amount I'd be worried about bottle bombs as well! It's my first time bottling tomorrow so hoping it goes OK with the sugar. Can't wait to try the beer after two weeks in the bottle

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

That sounds about right. A little on the light side. That type I usually use 4 to 5 grams per liter.

Thanks guys. Quick question, I've tested the brew and it's steady at 1.012 for three days so I think it's ready for bottling (been in fv two weeks). But the brew is still murky not clear at all. Should I wait longer before bottling to allow particles to drop out?
It's a brown ale by the way so should be clear I guess.

Thanks guys. Quick question, I've tested the brew and it's steady at 1.012 for three days so I think it's ready for bottling (been in fv two weeks). But the brew is still murky not clear at all. Should I wait longer before bottling to allow particles to drop out?
It's a brown ale by the way so should be clear I guess.

wheat beer is going to be cloudy brown ale not so, re priming I use around 150/160g for about 20 litres. re: wheat beer carbonation levels it's safer to use wheat beer bottles as they will have been designed to hold the higher levels of carbonation. Having said that I've used a mixture of brown bottles and not had an issue.

wheat beer is going to be cloudy brown ale not so, re priming I use around 150/160g for about 20 litres. re: wheat beer carbonation levels it's safer to use wheat beer bottles as they will have been designed to hold the higher levels of carbonation. Having said that I've used a mixture of brown bottles and not had an issue.

Wheat isn't always cloudy mate, I brewed an American wheat beer which is crystal clear. It's the Belgian or German yeast that makes it cloudy.

Of the top of my head...
For an English best, esb, or pa I'll go with about 100g of dextrose monohydrate.
For an American pa or IPA about 150/200g.
For wheat beers 300g.
I can't remember the cO2 volumes but will post them separately in a bit.
All batches are 23l.

As said above by Dad, just be sure the bottles can take the pressure. I started by only using Belgian and wheat beer bottles for highly carbonated styles, but I have definitely slipped in a few ordinary bottles over time and not had any issues.

Wheat isn't always cloudy mate, I brewed an American wheat beer which is crystal clear. It's the Belgian or German yeast that makes it cloudy.

absolutely, but it is the original style, I think the kristalklar is a better bet for those trying weissbier for the first time, but a move across to the hefe-weizens is worth it :whistle:

Latest posts

Back