R.I.P Thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Le Carre has died today. My favourite author, I’ve read and loved so many of his novels. The Karla trilogy is a work of patient genius while The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is an exciting high speed rollercoaster. Many other fantastic books in between. RIP to a great one.

Actress Rosalind Knight - whose credits include early Carry on films and Channel 4's Friday Night Dinner - has died aged 87, her family has said.
The TV, film and theatre actress appeared in Carry On Teacher and Carry On Nurse in the 1950s.
More recently, she played the character known as "Horrible Grandma" in Channel 4 comedy show Friday Night Dinner.
In a statement, her family said the "well-loved" actress who had a "glorious career" died on Saturday.
Her other screen credits include 1957's Blue Murder At St Trinian's, where she played a schoolgirl and a teacher in The Wildcats Of St Trinian's in 1980.
She also starred as retired prostitute Beryl in BBC sitcom Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, which ran from 1999 to 2001, with Kathy Burke and James Dreyfus.
Knight's family said in their statement: "She was known to so many generations, for so many different roles, and will be missed as much by the kids today who howl at Horrible Grandma in Friday Night Dinner as by those of us who are old enough to remember her in the very first Carry On films."
Her daughters, theatre director Marianne Elliott and actress Susannah Elliott, said she would be remembered for her "immense spirit and sense of fun, and her utter individuality".

R.I.P - Eileen Pollock

TV sitcom Bread's Lilo Lil actress dies at 73

1608745587092.png

Actress Eileen Pollock, best known for playing Lilo Lil in 1980s TV sitcom Bread, has died at the age of 73.
Pollock, from Belfast, played Freddie Boswell's brassy mistress in the hit comedy about a large Liverpool family.
She also had a long stage career and appeared in such films as Far and Away, starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, and Mike Leigh's Four Days in July.
Her agents said she was "truly a powerhouse of an actor, with huge generosity and spirit".
Pollock trained as a translator, once joking that she "could have been a Eurocrat with a Porsche in every European capital city".
But her first love was theatre. After moving to London, she worked backstage at the Bush Theatre, getting her break when an actress announced she would not be able to go on the following night.
Pollock was sent home with the script to learn the part. "It was really scary - but I did it," she said.
When she auditioned for Bread, the producers wanted the character to be from Liverpool - but Pollock convinced them she should be Irish.
"The reason I said that was because I had been trying out my Liverpool accent on the taxi driver on the way to the audition and he asked me which part of Australia I came from. I thought then that I'd be better off sticking to what I knew."
She got the part, and Bread ran from 1986-91, attracting 21 million viewers at its peak in 1988.
She said she didn't mind being associated with the character. "I disbelieve actors who say 'I want rid of that image'," she told the Northern Echo in 2004.
"People will always remember me as Lilo Lil and it's wonderful. I like it when someone says in a supermarket, 'You know who you remind me of, don't take offence, that tart from Bread'."
When she got her first Hollywood role, it was as brothel keeper Molly Kay in 1992's Far and Away.
"It amused Jean Boht [Nellie Boswell] from Bread," the actress recalled. "She said I had been promoted from a tart in the TV series."
Her other film credits included 1999's Angela's Ashes, and she played the title role in BBC Radio 4 comedy The Pamela Myers Show in 1995.
Eileen Pollock: TV sitcom Bread's Lilo Lil actress dies at 73 - BBC News

Stella Tennant: Model dies days after 50th birthday

1608745935818.png

British model Stella Tennant has died at the age of 50, her family have said.
The Scot made her name in the early 1990s on catwalks for designers like Karl Lagerfeld and Versace, and on the covers Vogue and Harper's Bazaar.
Her family said: "Stella was a wonderful woman and an inspiration to us all. She will be greatly missed."
They said her death was "sudden", and police said there were "no suspicious circumstances". Her death came five days after her 50th birthday.
The family statement said: "It is with great sadness we announce the sudden death of Stella Tennant on 22nd December 2020...
"Her family ask for their privacy to be respected. Arrangements for a memorial service will be announced at a later date."

1608745960783.png

Tennant shot to fame after being photographed for British Vogue at the age of 22 in 1993, and went on to work with designers and fashion houses including Alexander McQueen, Calvin Klein, Jean Paul Gaultier and Burberry.
Versace paid tribute to Tennant on Twitter, saying she was "Gianni Versace's muse for many years and friend of the family".

More - Stella Tennant: Model dies days after 50th birthday - BBC News

Tommy Docherty ex United and Scotland manager has died aged 92. Did a great job rebuilding Uniited and came close to winning the league. Should never have been sacked for falling in love. Dave Sexton his replacement ruined a good team.
RIP Doc

Gerry and the Pacemakers singer Gerry Marsden, whose version of You'll Never Walk Alone became a football terrace anthem for his hometown club of Liverpool, has died at the age of 78.

Friend Pete Price said on Sunday that the singer died after a short illness.

Marsden's band was one of the biggest success stories of the Merseybeat era, and in 1963 became the first to have their first three songs top the chart.

The second was Ferry Cross The Mersey, written by Marsden.

Marsden was made an MBE in 2003 for services to charity after supporting victims of the Hillsborough disaster.

Back