Request help with Ilkley Mary Jane clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannylockley

Reaction score
Afternoon,

My dad has been a great help testing my beers and giving feedback and to reward him I am trying to re-create his favourite tipple.

This is Ilkley brewery’s Mary Jane.

http://www.ilkleybrewery.co.uk/our-beers/item/mary-jane

I have done some research and as an extract brewer, was planning on steeping some carapils and using pale DME.

I know the beer is a Pale session ale @ 3.5% but for a 16l brew I am struggling with quantities and schedule for the following listed hops:

Northdown
Amarillo
Cascade

I am also wondering on yeast selection, was thinking Safale US05 but had wondered about SAFALE US04 or wilko Gervin (notty).

Any advice.

I a assuming Northdown is for bittering and the others are flavour/aroma hops.

Afternoon,

My dad has been a great help testing my beers and giving feedback and to reward him I am trying to re-create his favourite tipple.

This is Ilkley brewery’s Mary Jane.

http://www.ilkleybrewery.co.uk/our-beers/item/mary-jane

I have done some research and as an extract brewer, was planning on steeping some carapils and using pale DME.

I know the beer is a Pale session ale @ 3.5% but for a 16l brew I am struggling with quantities and schedule for the following listed hops:

Northdown
Amarillo
Cascade

I am also wondering on yeast selection, was thinking Safale US05 but had wondered about SAFALE US04 or wilko Gervin (notty).

Any advice.

US05 and Gervin are going to give you a clean netural almost non yeast flavour.. Never tried this so no idea if thats a match but if not you will find it different from what you want..

This is the trouble with clones unless you can get the yeast and everything down, you are going to struggle to replicate it.. not to say you won't still make a great beer.

You may want to look at some yorkshire ale yeasts from white labs or wyeast. look at the descriptions and see if they fall closer to what you're trying to match.

To be honest the US 05 should suit the style, light citrus, pale ale but the hop schedule I am unsure on.

Sent from my Elephone P8000 using Tapatalk

Hi Danny
Did the Mary Jane turn out ok? I've just been searching the forum and came across your posts. I'm planning a rough copy of Mary Jane for a brew this Wednesday.
I've got the correct hops and crushed pale malt fresh from my local brewery. Was planning on S-04 yeast as I've already got loads in.
I've read somewhere there is probably no dry hop in the beer as it is low aroma (apparently) so just going for the following hop schedule in the boil.

Pellets
7g of Northdown at 60mins
10g each of cascade and amarillo at 10mins
10g each of cascade and amarillo at 5 mins
10g each of cascade and amarillo at flame out.

I'm aware it's quite a lot of pellets towards the end but I've read somewhere this should keep it flavoursome and not too bitter.

PS this is only my third run with the Grainfather and I haven't sampled the first two yet!!!!
Any tips / suggestions welcome.

Latest posts

Back