Rice Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lympicit

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently put a couple of gallons of rice wine into a secondary fermentation vat, but my beautiful boyfriend quipped that I didn't cook the rice. I didn't think I was meant to. Was I?

Do you boil the rice? My recipe didn't mention it.

Meryl

I've got some on at the moment and my recipe called for cooked rice and then add your yeast /mould balls. Sorry.

I think sake calls for more specific mould strains. What yeast are you using if not rice yeast balls? You need the mould to convert the starches in the rice to fermentable sugars. When I'm next on my computer I'll try to remember to get you the link to an extensive thread in another forum. I think what I'm making is mijiu or huangjiu. Good luck!

I don't have the recipient to hand basically it's this

Rice
Sugar
Raisins (although I used mixed fruit because that's what I had in)
Mug of strong black tea
High alcohol yeast

The recipie said to put everything in your fermentation bucket apart b from the yeast, add hot water, leave to cool and then pitch in the yeast.

No mention of boiling the rice. As a plus, the wine looks great.

Add hot water would be your crucial stage there I guess as regards cooking. Looks like your fermentable content will be coming from your sugar and raisins then (if I understand it correctly). Interesting.

Hey,

We are now drinking the wine and it's great, family are hoovering it up. It's quite sweet with a little fire, something not as sweet as a sauterns but deep golden in colour.

I will certainly re-make this, I'm a much larger batch!

M

Yeah, sounds great! Such amazing variation in the world of brewing.

Latest posts

Back