Rye Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hop_on_the_good_foot

Reaction score
I went and bought 5KG of Rye malt. I have never drunk a Rye beer. I was feeling somewhat adventurous at the shop. I like Rye whisky so figured it was a good idea....

After some general interneting I see I shouldn't use too much and be careful of it in the mash. I'm a BIAB brewer so not too concerned about it's consistency in the mash/stuck sparge etc.

What I would like to know is if anyone has a decent tried and tested recipe or two they could point me towards. There's too much info out there and after a week of research I still don't really know where to dive in with it.

Cheers and TIA.

I do have the book and was looking at that thinking something like that with citra, cascade or Simcoe. But it calls for a kolsch yeast. Would good old 05 do instead do you think? What did you use?

I used 2 packs of crossmyloof kolsch fermented at 15c rising to 20c. Have you any husks? You might have a job lautering even in a bag. Rye can set like concrete. Not tried with us05 but sure it would work.
257.jpg

I used 2 packs of crossmyloof kolsch fermented at 15c rising to 20c. Have you any husks? You might have a job lautering even in a bag. Rye can set like concrete. Not tried with us05 but sure it would work.
View attachment 16319
I don't have any husks, n was thinking about a dunk sparge to try and help. I could probably order a handful though. CML...I've been going back and forth on ordering yeast from there. Worth a go?

I don't have any husks, n was thinking about a dunk sparge to try and help. I could probably order a handful though. CML...I've been going back and forth on ordering yeast from there. Worth a go?
Would depend on the bag you have. How big the holes are and mash thickness. I recirculate the mash and the time before last it got completely stuck hence the use of 800g of husks. I was not taking any chances as the wort had so much flour in it it burned the bottom of the pan( something i never have a problem with anymore). Luckily the beer did not taste burned. I used 4l water per kg of grain as well. Rye is much worse than wheat in that it gets very compacted.

Would depend on the bag you have. How big the holes are and mash thickness. I recirculate the mash and the time before last it got completely stuck hence the use of 800g of husks. I was not taking any chances as the wort had so much flour in it it burned the bottom of the pan( something i never have a problem with anymore). Luckily the beer did not taste burned. I used 4l water per kg of grain as well. Rye is much worse than wheat in that it gets very compacted.

Its a BrewBag bag, not sure of the holes but it's a goodie. Husks it is. Good advice. No into burning my kettle... sounds like a challenge this beer!

Yeah, that's the one. Odd that it's brewed with a kolsch yeast as it's definitely an American beer. There's also a German Roggenbier in the book if I recall correctly

I don't know how many times i have flicked through that book and missed the Roggenbier recipe. I will have to brew that! I thought about trying Mangrove Jacks cali lager yeast as it would clear better or a lager but was so happy i just upped the dry hops.

I'm planning a clone Beavertown 8 Ball, probably the best Rye IPA I've ever tasted, they use Crystal Rye, Caramalt & Cara gold. My past Rye brews I went with US05, and also what Beavertown use. athumb..

I will have to brew that! I thought about trying Mangrove Jacks cali lager yeast as it would clear better or a lager but was so happy i just upped the dry hops.

Just on a side note, funnily enough I'm using that yeast for the first time atm. Pitched it in a cali common atbthe w/e! Anxious to see how it turns out!

Since someone has mentioned mangrove jack, I now recall I used their liberty bell for this not US05

Latest posts

Back