Rye Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went and bought 5KG of Rye malt. I have never drunk a Rye beer. I was feeling somewhat adventurous at the shop. I like Rye whisky so figured it was a good idea....

What I would like to know is if anyone has a decent tried and tested recipe or two they could point me towards. There's too much info out there and after a week of research I still don't really know where to dive in with it.

What about trying an all grain kvass? Traditionally kvass is made with toasted rye bread, but a quick internet search for "all grain kvass" turns up a few ideas. Such as:

Randy Mosher ("Radical Brewing", Brewers Publications) gives this for an all-grain recipe:

1.75 lb rye flour
1 lb 6-row malt
1 lb rye malt
9 oz. toasted buckwheat (kasha)

Mash at 150 degrees for one hour.

To the mash add: .12oz fresh peppermint (beware that grocery store fresh mint is often actually spearmint), and the juice and zest of one lemon. The wort is traditionally unboiled.

Ferment with 1/4 cake of compressed bread yeast or an ale yeast (I'm thinking maybe European or German Ale might work here?).

Target starting gravity 1.024.

What about trying an all grain kvass? Traditionally kvass is made with toasted rye bread, but a quick internet search for "all grain kvass" turns up a few ideas. Such as:

Randy Mosher ("Radical Brewing", Brewers Publications) gives this for an all-grain recipe:

1.75 lb rye flour
1 lb 6-row malt
1 lb rye malt
9 oz. toasted buckwheat (kasha)

Mash at 150 degrees for one hour.

To the mash add: .12oz fresh peppermint (beware that grocery store fresh mint is often actually spearmint), and the juice and zest of one lemon. The wort is traditionally unboiled.

Ferment with 1/4 cake of compressed bread yeast or an ale yeast (I'm thinking maybe European or German Ale might work here?).

Target starting gravity 1.024.

That is quite a recipe. And something very much worth trying, cheers. I've got Randy moshers 'Tasting Beer' book in front of me on the coffee table right now strangely enough!

Latest posts

Back