Secondary fermenter suggestions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kikib

Reaction score
Hi,

I really need some help!

Me and my partner have been brewing beer at home using kits and have been using bottles for secondary fermentation. My partner is keen to start upping his home brewing game and move away from kits. For his birthday he wants a secondary fermenter with a tap so we can stop using bottles.

I really don't understand the differences between all of the types of equipment. Is it worth getting a Speidel fermentation tank or am I better off just getting a standard plastic bucket with a tap and airlock? Any advice on what works well would be very gratefully received!

Thanks.

You can’t just use a second fermenter to dispense and forego bottling.

What you actually want at this stage, I think, is a pressure barrel.

Just go kegging with a clue of corny legs, bogle of CO2 a fridge and a few taps for dispensing. It's his birthday 🍰🍻🎈
If check out the beer and equipment section with a search here which should help you out a bit but don't let it overwhelm you and don't be afraid to ask anything as we have all been there.

Thank you so much! I have to admit I'm rather clueless on it all but will check out the link and forum guide then get barrel hunting.

Hi,

I really need some help!

Me and my partner have been brewing beer at home using kits and have been using bottles for secondary fermentation. My partner is keen to start upping his home brewing game and move away from kits. For his birthday he wants a secondary fermenter with a tap so we can stop using bottles.

I really don't understand the differences between all of the types of equipment. Is it worth getting a Speidel fermentation tank or am I better off just getting a standard plastic bucket with a tap and airlock? Any advice on what works well would be very gratefully received!

Thanks.
You can get a pressure barrel as suggested, or a cube with a tap. To keep it on the cheap, a bicycle pump, plastic bag, cable tie and a syringe optional. You can get the cubes in either 25 litre and 20 litre (both have 3 litre expansion space) Cubes here are $9 and $7 about 4.5 GBP and 3.5 GBP so a cheap alternative and no co2 required.
1586380986642.png

Plastic pressure barrels alias PBs. You either love 'em or you hate 'em. Really convenient, so you don't have to fiddle about with lots of bottles. BUT many leak, not just from seals but from the shells splitting, and if that happens the only good thing about them is that they can be recycled (they are made from HDPE). And they are only really suitable for low carb beers, not lagers or AIPAs or wheat beers due to the pressure limitations they have.
So many folks use them and think they are great, but conversely many have given up on them.
The Guide is here...
Guide to a Standard Home Brew Pressure Barrel
My suggestion is look at corny kegs which cost more but from reports are much more reliable.
Me, I have had 4 PBs and 3 failed within 2 years, and am now waiting for the last one to give up. Then Ill stay with bottles.

Latest posts

Back