Self driving cars

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah they really work

They really do work -

They point out *280 of these cars have crashed in 5 years but not all crashes were caused by the driverless vehicle, i wonder how many cars and vans with drivers crashed in the same 5 years.
*64 injuries no deaths.

Last edited:
If you live in a car centric place, then it's relatively easy (e.g. USA where whole cities are planned on grids & car useage), or its restricted to motorways and trunk roads.

What's really difficult is:
Ancient European road layouts, an the varieties of challenges they bring, think Italian (we'll probably Roman) tiny narrow streets, single track roads with passing places.
Pothole avoidance.
Pedestrians on phones.
Joggers with headphones.
Bikes / scooters jumping on/off pavements.

It's not an easy one to call & it always surprises me that accident rates are not higher when I observe the behaviour of everyone.

Let's say you pass your driving test and buy a driverless car. One day it gets to a tricky situation it doesn't understand and hands back control to you. Could be years after your test. Are you really going to be expected to remember how to drive the thing? Let alone in a tricky situation...

One day it gets to a tricky situation it doesn't understand and hands back control to you

The cars in the video don't allow you to sit in the front so I assume there is no hand back option, if they get into a situation where they are "confused" they will be programmed to do the safest thing like the one in the video and pull to the side of the road with the hazard lights on.

If you can't sit in the front why is there a front seat
If you look at 18 second in the video you can see they have put something across the back of the seats i guess they dont want people leaning through and messing about with the controls of the test cars.

The main thing that worries me about self driving cars is that when they do become reality, it will only be a matter of time before someone dies during the journey and a corpse arrives at the destination!
It wouldn't be a far stretch for them to detect the vitals of passengers and if an occupant was gravely ill - put hazards on activate a hidden blue light and take them to an a&e hospital, it could even scan the waiting times so if the ill person wasn't at immediate risk of dying it would navigate to the A&E with the shortest time to be seen taking into account driving time.

Back