September Competition - American Pale Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the results are in.....

Firstly thank you that sent beers into the comp. 15 excellent beers. In the end 4 of us judged the beers with the non brewers really complimenting the quality.

Judging is never easy especially with so many using similar ingredients and brewing to an excellent quality.

I aim to get all feedback out to everyone by tomorrow evening. Feedback will be collective comments from all 4 judges. There was plenty of debate on what everyone thought was the best beer.

So onto the winners.

In 3rd place- @Turexy with simcoe juice.
2nd place- @Pennine with summer breeze.
And finally the winner......

@strange-steve with citron belge ipa.

I don't know about you lot but I would love to see the recipes of all three.

Unlucky to those that just fell short of the podium.

Congrats to everyone and very proud to get 3rd place woop woop. Can't wait to get the feedback :cool:. Thanks @Leon103 for organising the comp.

Well done @Turexy and @Pennine. This was a big surprise to be honest, it was a bit of a wildcard entry and I wasn't sure how well it would be recieved, but thanks to @Leon103 for judging. Recipe is below:

Citron Belge

Batch size: 21 L
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.002 (yep really)
ABV: 7.6%
Colour: 3 SRM
Bitterness: 26 IBU

Fermentables
4.0 kg Pilsner Malt
0.5 kg Wheat Malt
0.5 kg White Sugar

Hops
10 g Zeus at 60 mins
25 g Cascade at 15 mins
25 g Cascade Whirlpool
50 g Citra Dry Hop

Water Profile
90 ppm Calcium
110 ppm Sulphate
110 ppm Chloride
15 ppm Alkalinity

Notes
Zest of 2 lemons added along with dry hops
Fermented with Belle Saison
Pitch at 20°c and ramp up to 27°c over 1 week
Mash schdule:
55°c for 10 mins
62°c for 30 mins
71°c for 30 mins
77°c for 10 mins

Yes, it could be argued that this is a saison and not an American IPA, but with the US hops and the lemon flavours it drinks like an IPA with a Belgian twist. Kind of reminds me of Cloudwater Belgian Citra IPA (perhaps unsurprisingly).

Oh and I have one of these each to be sent out to @Pennine, @samale, and @UKSkydiver as promised.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back