Sexism taken too far?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the beer I mentioned earlier in the thread. Actually, it's come back to me - it wasn't the Peterborough Beer Festival, but at a small festival at a pub in Norfolk. The name made me laugh, but I do remember it being a really nice pint. Unfortunately, I've never seen it since.

The '******' part of it refers to the tradition of pancake tossing in Cornwall - but then you'd all already guessed that.

Up until last year my missus wouldn't of drank from a pint glass as she felt it wasn't right for a woman although she knew plenty who did,until we went for a drink at a national hotel group with another national cheap eating attachment which didn't serve Coors only Bud.
A 1/2 ×2 worked out a quid dearer so I bought a pint and asked for a half pint glass and poured from this.She was not amused but I told her to look at a table across from us where there were a few well to do people and one of whom was doing exactly the same whilst the other two women were drinking from pints.
Next time we went for a drink I done the same and brought a 1/2 pint glass too which she totally bewildered me and asked me to get some ice in the said glass and just drank from the pint.
Makes me wonder....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

If the pump clips were there when they went for an interview and they found them offensive they had the choice not to take the job they will be banning swearing next in case someone is offended. :roll:

Imagine a scene where a pub is selling a dark porter called "Linford's Lunchbox" or "Spades of Flavour" or similar. People make casual racist jokes throughout the evening. Would the same argument hold true?

My point was if you are offended by a pump clip don't take a job in a pub as you probably won't like the swearing that goes on in the bar either.

To answer your post - Is there such a thing as a casual racist joke?

My point was if you are offended by a pump clip don't take a job in a pub as you probably won't like the swearing that goes on in the bar either.

To answer your post - Is there such a thing as a casual racist joke?

These are not mutually exclusive. I swear an awful lot, however I'm not sexist. Similarly a lot of women I know swear a lot but are against sexism.

Is there such thing as a casual Sexist joke?

Surely someone not being able to work somewhere due to risk of being offended is a form of discrimination?

The irony being that as a moderator on a site that automatically moderates swearing you don't see the need for moderation in pubs. Moderation of language or imagery.

Surely anyone in a pub, whether employee of customer has the same right to be protected from being offended? Perhaps bound by similar rules to this site?

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws"

Ps. Love the site.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When was the last time you were in a pub and heard a causal sexist joke and was the pump clip the reason the joke was made, you paint a very strange picture of how people in the pubs you frequent conduct themselves.

It's a simple concept. People moderate their behaviour to the environment they are in. If that environment indicates sexism is acceptable, Sexist people will feel freer to be Sexist. Sexist Pump clips aren't the root cause, but add to a wider message.

Care to proffer another reason why the problem is worse in the hospitality industry?

http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/s...ding-to-preliminary-findings-of-unite-survey/

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Some good pump clips about if your not offended

bigcockbock-jpg.12876

Attachments

• BigCockBock.jpg
    BigCockBock.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 282
Last edited by a moderator:
I do know the story behind the name of that beer from the horses mouth and, trust me, it ain't anything to do with tossing pancakes!

I do not want to know what that poor horse has been through.

If. :roll:

Are you going to answer my question about the last time you were at a bar and customers were telling sexist jokes?

God knows, years ago, the pubs I drink in don't stand for it, or stock beers with these pump clips, on principle. You know, modern progressive places.

Fancy a crack at any of these you ignored?

Is there such thing as a casual Sexist joke?

Surely someone not being able to work somewhere due to risk of being offended is a form of discrimination?

The irony being that as a moderator on a site that automatically moderates swearing you don't see the need for moderation in pubs. Moderation of language or imagery.

Surely anyone in a pub, whether employee of customer has the same right to be protected from being offended? Perhaps bound by similar rules to this site?

or..

It's a simple concept. People moderate their behaviour to the environment they are in. If that environment indicates sexism is acceptable, Sexist people will feel freer to be Sexist. Sexist Pump clips aren't the root cause, but add to a wider message.

Care to proffer another reason why the problem is worse in the hospitality industry?

http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/s...ding-to-preliminary-findings-of-unite-survey/

For those who are making the point that women should just not apply for jobs or not drink in pubs with sexist beer branding, this is what happens to women who refuse to be silenced. This is why the campaign against sexism can’t rely only on women and why sexism has to be objectively considered and stopped. This was posted by Melissa Cole, a well known and excellent beer journalist today.

Attachments

• F9095D5F-1A0E-43D7-AF66-6CA105DDBE46.jpeg
    F9095D5F-1A0E-43D7-AF66-6CA105DDBE46.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 89
Funny how times change.
Years ago women were not allowed I'm pubs, there were men only clubs were women were seen by men and not heard by anyone else.
Strange times of equality and as it should be as we are all human with feelings and views of our own and we are entitled to our own opinions that are entitled to be heard.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back