Short trip to Brussels - recommendations please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Belgium in the spring. The main reason will be to watch some sport, but we'll have some free time in Brussels. Any recommendations for brewery visits, bars, restaurants, beer shops gratefully accepted.

Cantillon. Moeder Lambic. Brussels Beer Project. Poechenellekelder. Café Mort Subite. Delirium.

In that order.

Last edited:
Cycling?

I like La Fleur en paper dore (too eat Sausage and Stoemp) and A l’Imaige Nostre-Dame, both for the traditional cafè experience. Then Moeder Lambic for a modern bar with extensive selection. La Brocante and a visit to Cantillon for Lambics. Catching the flea market outside La Brocante is a bonus, for the chance of some glassware.

If you have transport or happen to be near, De Heeren van Liedekercke in Denderleeuw, west of Brussels, is stunning for beer and food.

Last edited:
The cafes in the Grand Place are nice and do good beers. It's nicest to sit outside with your beer, but take a warm coat with you if you want that option as it'll be cold this time of year. The Roy d'Espagne was my favourite.

The rest of my knowledge of Brussels is 20 years out of date. There used to be a really nice narrow street with excellent fish/seafood a couple of streets away from the Grand Place, but I have no idea anymore exactly where it is our what it was called... or even if it is the go-to place for fish these days.

To be honest all the bars are fantastic in that they serve a massive choice of beers
Delirium bar is over several floors and has a great choice and good atmosphere but allow a good few hours to enjoy them.
Poechenellekelder right beside the pissing boy statue is quirky and has a huge beer menu and the staff are very helpful.
Food is like most European city’s and its best to eat away from the grand place for a less tourist trap meal.
Cantillion brewery is just a turn up system and no booking is needed
If you have time take the train to Bruges it’s well worth it.

Went last year. Had a blast. a couple of other bars we enjoyed but to be honest over the course of the two days they all blended into each other..

Scott's bar (great pizza too)...opposite Cafe Mort Subite
Mannekin Pis Cafe oppisite the pissing boy

Went to some of the old Lambic bars that are tucked away off the main streets through little passages, but Lambic is rank!! (some like it but we didn't) but nice to go to and can have something other than a Lambic.
I liked the Brussels Beer Project headline IPA - Delta IPA, but wasn't too impressed with many other their other offerings. A neat little brewery and a nice tour to get you off the streets for an hour or two.

I was there last year with the missus. Would recommend the Brussels Beer Project as well - walking distance from the centre and they do a nice wee tour and good beer samples too. I'd also recommend Beer Central, you get given a Beer Encyclopaedia on entry with over 300 beers they have available including 30+ on tap. We spent a few hours in there sheltering from the rain :cool:

Thanks to all for the suggestions. We had an excellent trip.

Some excellent recommendations above. We made it to Poechenellekelder, La Brocante and Moeder Lambic. All great bars. I can add Monk near the Bourse to that list.

Cantillon definitely worth a visit for anyone who enjoys brewing. Fabulous place. Worth noting that you need to pre-book guided tours on Saturday now. The rest of the week, you can rock up and do a self-guided tour. This basically involves wondering around the actual brewery chatting to staff. You get 3 tasters at the end. Just brilliant.

We drank a fair few de la Senne and Brussels Beer Project beers out and about as well as Orvals, Duponts, Brugse Zots and De Ranke.

The food was good too. It's a fair bit out of the centre but Le Damoiselle in Saint-Gilles is an utterly bonkers, idiosyncratic neighbourhood bistro with an excellent list of rare Cantillons.

The trip highlight though was drinking Kwaremont on the Oude Kwaremont.

Latest posts

Back