Should i get a corny keg? Pin/ball lock??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDan

Landlord.
Reaction score
HEllo again all, I want to get a corny keg but am unsure what the real difference between ball and pinlock are. Is one easier to use/maintain than the other? I have seen that there is a slight size difference, but other than that cannot see anything too different between them?

All of mine a ball lock cant comment on the other type but dont think theres really much difference mine are easy enough to look after though

Obviously the type of connection is different. Pin lock connectors have two/3 pins on the posts that the disconnect **** on . . . The Ball lock have a ridge on the post that is gripped by 4 'balls' and a spring mechanism within the disconnect . . . Pin lock are used by Coca Cola Company and Ball Lock by Pepsi (and Britvic/Schweppes) . . . Ball lock are more prevalent here, with disconnects being readily available.

Ball lock is not interchangeable with Pin lock . . . and you can't swap the posts either.

more **** and balls than I expected in there.. :rofl:
Pin lock connectors have two/3 pins on the posts that the disconnect **** on . . . The Ball lock have a ridge on the post that is gripped by 4 'balls'

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ball-lock is the one to go for, simply because as Aleman says, it's easier to get the disconnects for them.

Email Norm (link is up at the top left of the page in the Links section) - he supplies the cornies complete with the requiired disconnects and beer line :thumb:

I'm looking into buying some cornelius kegs. I have heard this norm guy mentioned several times before. So he must be good and reliable. What kind of money would I be looking at to buy 2 kegs, regulater, disconnects, gas cylinder, dispensing tap etc. to get me started?

Would I be better off getting a Co2 cylinder somewhere local and putting down a deposit? I know of a couple of places after having a look around. I was just thinking that if I buy a new cylinder from norm that it might need servicing etc now and then. What do you guys do? Do you think it's worth while buying a canister of my own?

email norm for prices. you can get slightly less than perfect cornies from him for a bargain price too.

When it comes to the regulator, the larger 'gas management panel' is probably the best for the long term, since cornie collections generally only do one thing - grow!

Norm's price for a cornie includes both the disconnects and a few metres of gas and beer line, which you would normally pay around £20 extra for if bought seperately :thumb:

I opted to rent a gas cylinder through BOC rather than buy one. That way I won't have to pay for the cylinder to be tested, and I know I can get a refilled cylinder whenever I want - several people have had problems getting their own bottle filled as a lot of companies are tightening safety rules and simply won't fill any cylinders except their own...

Best thing I can suggest is you check with any potential local gas supplier and find out if they'll fill privately owned cylinders. If you CAN get your own cylinder filled, it almost certainly will work out cheaper in the long term to have your own. Failing that, rent.

BigYin said:
When it comes to the regulator, the larger 'gas management panel' is probably the best for the long term, since cornie collections generally only do one thing - grow!
That probably only holds true if your installation is going to be fixed, If you wanted to take a keg on holiday / to a party, etc. then a standard regulator would make life considerably easier.

Check around your local cellar gases companies, they may operate differently. I paid a refundable £25 cylinder deposit, no ongoing rental charge and £15+vat for the gas. When it's empty I will just take it back and swop it for a full one, so testing is their concern and not mine.

Good point Moley - although there is a not so subtle cheat - if you have a sodastream cylinder with the S30 adaptor, or HB cylinder, you can gas the cornie with that, just by pushing the injector onto the gas inlet poppet of the cornie - works a treat! If, like me, you are moving up from a plastic keg to a cornie setup, chances are you already have the sodastream or HB cylinder....

Thanks for all the useful info.

I'll contact my local gas suppliers. I need to find out what their rental charges are and if they refill private canisters etc. I didn't realise that some of them charge a rental fee actually. I thought you normally just had to pay a deposit and for replacement gas.

I believe Norm is on holiday at the moment. I'll just have to be patient until he's back. I'd prefer sooner rather than later as I've got 10 gallons fermenting now. Can't bare the thought of having to bottle it all up.

If I'm off to a family get together or barbie and I want to bring a keg I use THIS, if I don't I'm offered some cheap lager :(

I bet you enjoyed the bbq with a whole keg to yourself ;o)

richc said:
The only reason I can see to go for pin lock is that they are slightly shorter.
Somebody (I'm thinking either Aled/Farmbrew at the Skipton National or Barley Water on Jim's) suggested that it was a good way of ensuring that you keep vessels and lines for brett or acid beers separate from the normal ones where you don't want that kind of stuff. Probably not relevant to the OP though

Latest posts

Back