sloe wine problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f40cab

Reaction score
hi everyone , new member, and just done my first wine , its made from sloe berrys from are new house, i now have it in demi johns and the ferment has slowed right down to a couple of bubbles in air lock, ive taken a sg reading and it shows 1030. it tastes sweet. but what reading should i be looking for before bottling it. do i need to re activate the yeast. any help please.

Hi, I would leave it a while longer (couple off weeks) Giving it a quick swirl round can help. You shouldn't need to add anything except time! Adding yeast now would be tricky as it wouldn't have the alcohol tolerance of the yeast that's there at the moment and would probably take forever to get going, if at all. Anything below 1.000 will be dry and ok for bottling with a dose of sorbate and a campden tablet just in case of bottle fermentation (or do what I do and just leave it for months for the yeast to die off naturally. Patience tends to be a required item in wine making im afraid to say.

ok when you look into the demi john it has a lot of little fizzy bubbles coming up and its bubbling at a rate of 2-3 bubbles a minute in the air lock. it tastes quite sweet. ive got three demi johns going so would hate to lose it, but as its first time ive done it i need some advice. thank you for advice so far.

2-3 bubbles a minute and a reading of 1030 means it needs more time, i call mine finished when i only see one bubble every couple of minutes.

Hi, I consider mine done when no more activity is seen any where in the wine and it's starting to clear!!! Although I don't make a lot of wow's now a days mostly hedgerow fruit, as within 5min walk I've got sloes ,blackberry's, elderberry ,bullaces, damsons, hawthorn and rowan (Makes a foul wine to my mind)!!

ok thanks for the advice i'll leave it longer and keep checking the sg reading.

Leave it alone until it has cleared naturally. I always do. (this goes against the tide of popular opinion).DO NOT bottle if you can see ANY tiny bubbles.

Latest posts

Back