Smash first gold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayk34

Landlord.
Reaction score
Was hoping to get a beer brewing day at the weekend and was going to try a smash with first gold. I only have us-05 yeast in the fridge, would this be suitable for this ?

Or get to Wilko for a notty.
We don't have Wilko in northern Ireland but could pitch it onto the yeast from the northern brown ale that is still fermenting and due to be bottled at the weekend as I had used llallemand Nottingham with that.

I did an English IPA with 05 once but it came out lacking something. I think you need powerful hops with it, especially if it’s a smash

where in Northern Ireland are you?

I did an English IPA with 05 once but it came out lacking something. I think you need powerful hops with it, especially if it’s a smash

where in Northern Ireland are you?
Going to go with Nottingham as suggested by Clint.

I have 50g of hop pellets left do was going to do 20g at 60 minutes, 15g at 15 minutes and 15g at 5 minutes.

I'm from Tandragee

If you're due a heatwave this weekend, I'd go with the US-05. It's a bit more tolerant.

Don't think we're due the heatwave here but I use a fermentation fridge anyway to control the temperature.

I have just at this moment done a first gold brew albeit not a smash as regards the grains but I am going to try Kveik as it is getting warm and I need a quick turnaround. I have never used it before so will it be ok on this ale type brew?
Sorry for going off piste on this post but it just nudged me

I have just at this moment done a first gold brew albeit not a smash as regards the grains but I am going to try Kveik as it is getting warm and I need a quick turnaround. I have never used it before so will it be ok on this ale type brew?
First gold is has a strong marmalade flavour. Voss Kveik or one of the other orangey / tropical flavour producing strains would complement that.

I have a pale kveik ale that I'm getting through all too rapidly Cushyno Brewdays etc...

How is the kveik brew going? I had mixed results with Voss- not too bad in the bitters and ESB types, but thoroughly ruined some of the dark beers. If I'd had to guess in advance I would have said the opposite would have been more likely. I don't think I'll be using it again- except that I've got some sachets hanging around in the fridge. Opshaug, on the other hand gives good results. I'll need to wait for it to get a bit warmer.

Hi AA I have used it in a Summit Pale ale and a darkish ESB. The Pale is really good but still clearing after a week in the keg, the darker beer I have only just kegged so the jury is still out on that as at the moment it seems to lack that nice character you get with a English yeast in bitters/dark ales.
Having said that I am quite impressed with the speed of fermentation and not having to worry about off tastes which I rarely get anyway but still it seems to take one worry out of the brewing

Back