Smelling a little of yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceDawg

Reaction score
Morning,

I've done two brews recently two weeks apart.

The first was a coopers larger kit with extra light spray malt, brewed in the fridge at 13c using a bohemian yeast for three weeks. This came out with a very slight smell of yeast and has been bottled anyway because I didn't want to leave it in there for a month. This has a mix of dextrose 170g for the 20L and water mixed into the racked beer before being put into the bottles.

The second was a young's mils kit with extra dark spray malt and 1/2 kg on dextrose, brewed in doors at room temperature. This one had no smell of yeast at all before it was bottled a week ago. Using one carbonation drop per 500ml.

I opened one of the mild last night just to see if it was starting to carbonize and it smelt a little of yeast? So am I right in guessing that's due to the canonization process? I still drunk it, it was not to bad.

Just wondered, I'll leave them both for a couple of weeks and see what happens next.

Lastly, bottling is a hassle, what would I need to keg the beer, one of the ally kegs and some co2 and a fridge?

In my view the carbing process shouldn't make any difference to the 'yeastiness' of the beer apart from increasing the quantity of yeast in the bottle as it multiplies by consuming the priming sugar. But if you started out with a lot of yeast by bottling cloudy beer to start with that wont help. So all you can do is to hope that further conditioning will sort it out;. You havent told us how long you have left these beers in bottle before sampling, anything less than a month for most kit beers is probably not long enough. And if its the Coopers Euro lager it needs three months, per the instructions and also my experience of doing the kit.
Finally I can't advise on putting your beer in corny kegs as many do on here, but if you go the plastic pressure barrel route, first they are not really suitable for lagers since they cant hold the pressure required, and second there is about an evens chance you might encounter leaks and problems, although that may be lessened by the more you spend on a PB although none are foolpoof even as purchased.

Hi,

Ok, I have not touched the larger and wont for about 4 weeks the mild was 2 weeks before I tried it, I can leave it longer.

I'll see how it goes.

Recently I did an elderflower champange opened one at 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks and 12 weeks, 12 week one was really clear so I guess I need to keep paying pub prices for now :(

Latest posts

Back