So who's growing chillies 2023?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried Bulgarian Carrot a few years running but never got very good cropping, unlike all the other plants which were prolific. I think one Carrot plant produced a single chill, strange.

So far on this year's grow list:

Capsicum Chinense: chocolate habanero, Michael's magic, fatali, biquinho red.

Capsicum annuum: Serrano, Charleston hot, supertramp, mystery chilli seeds kids gave me for Christmas 🙂 (assume they are common or garden annuum var.)

Capsicum baccatum: aji Guyana, lemon drop.

Capsicum pubescens: rocoto ultra

I've also got a few of last year's grow which can take their chances over winter. I'll get the Chinense and pubescens vars started in the next few days.

What will you be growing?

Getting itchy fingers but have no grow lights so will wait until the end of Jan to put the heated propagator on.

My main staple is a variety of Cayenne that's bigger than the usual ones, I bought some from the local ethnic supermarket and grew it from the dried seeds, so I don't actually know what it is. Will also plant some Thin Thai chillis, Jalapenos, Basket of Fire, Hungarian Hot Wax, and for the first time this year Joes Long. I'll also do a Bhut Jolokia / Ghost chilli plant like this year, not too many as they are a bit spicy.

We have seedlings in the heated propagator. They are an inch tall already. And we're overwintering our weak and feeble habaneros in the bedroom so they can have a decent chance this summer in the sun

First of the season planted today 😀 Early for me but let’s see how they do in the heated propagator in the greenhouse.
Jalapeños, lemon drop, apaches and a tricolour varigata (new one for me) so far

I know the feeling. I got permission for my keezer to go in corner of the dinning room and above it gets the most sun in the house. Something on the wall there would look nice to go with it.
I'm a fiend for spice and beer 😂

Is it possible to grow them inside with one Ikea type of set ups? I've made my own hot sauce a few times and would love to do it from scratch.
Yes, perfectly possible to grow indoors under lights, but you'll probably want to select varieties with a compact growth habit, and then keep the pot size quite small to limit growth. What do you mean by IKEA type out of interest?

Just ordered my seeds from South Devon Chilli Farm.

Filus Blue and Purple Tiger for the sunroom, both 30cm plants with 2cm fruit.
Serrano and Purple Jalapeno for the polytunnel.

Last years crop was particularly disappointing, so determined to do better this year.

I'm overwintering my hot wax, jalapeno, and habanero. I still have 2 space on my window sill, so the sowing has been contracted out this year.

Last year i grew a habanero style chili from T&M that they claimed was not spicey at all. It was not. Which i kind of liked and i did end up useing lots of them all the time in everything. If i wanted spice i could also add some of the others as well. Really enjoyed them

I tried Bulgarian Carrot a few years running but never got very good cropping, unlike all the other plants which were prolific. I think one Carrot plant produced a single chill, strange.
I’ll send you a couple of viable seeds if you want to have another go.

Just ordered my seeds from South Devon Chilli Farm.

Filus Blue and Purple Tiger for the sunroom, both 30cm plants with 2cm fruit.
Serrano and Purple Jalapeno for the polytunnel.

Last years crop was particularly disappointing, so determined to do better this year.
Had to look up Filius Blue, never heard of it before. I guess it and Purple Tiger will be attractive house plants.

I've probably said this before, but Serrano is one of my absolute favourites, particularly green on pizza.

Just
So far on this year's grow list:

Capsicum Chinense: chocolate habanero, Michael's magic, fatali, biquinho red.

Capsicum annuum: Serrano, Charleston hot, supertramp, mystery chilli seeds kids gave me for Christmas 🙂 (assume they are common or garden annuum var.)

Capsicum baccatum: aji Guyana, lemon drop.

Capsicum pubescens: rocoto ultra

I've also got a few of last year's grow which can take their chances over winter. I'll get the Chinense and pubescens vars started in the next few days.

What will you be growing?
All but one variety from the first sowing are up. Will get these potted on in a month-ish then get on with the annuums late feb.
IMG_20230120_194755810_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Back