So who's growing chillies 2023?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We over wintered our poor crop of habaneros. They're out in flower already! 😯

Attachments

• 16750806425626704338344280504233.jpg
    16750806425626704338344280504233.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
How are you guys over wintering?
Do you still water and how are pruning them
this year, we just pulled the plants inside the house and tucked them in a corner. Didn't water them. Didn't prune them this year.
Previous years I've pruned them fairly aggressively, down to about 6-12 inches of stem, leaving a few leaves. But I'm not a botanist, so may have done badly.
Anything brown/wilty/woody in the spring I lop off to encourage new fresh green stuff to grow

Just planted Jalapeno, Tobasco, Cherry Bomb, and "Penis" Pepper seeds inside. Oh - almost forgot Prairie Fire too.

This year I've overwintered a super chilli - great variety, very prolific. I also have a single Carolina Reaper plant, very small at the moment, that's germinated from seeds bought last year and a number of plants grown using the seeds from ripened finger chillis bought in Sainsbury's. I'm told that these will grow true to form and I think these are the same variety used by the curry houses (Jwala Chilli I think).

I'm having a terrible year - really successful germination in a heated propagator but after re-potting some have withered and died. I've been growing chillis for about 15 years and this has never happened before, not doing anything different, they are not outside in the greenhouse yet, only thing I can think of is the lack of sunlight: my grass isn't growing either, I normally get a first cut in during March it's now the 2nd half of April and I still haven't cut it.

I'm having a terrible year - really successful germination in a heated propagator but after re-potting some have withered and died. I've been growing chillis for about 15 years and this has never happened before, not doing anything different, they are not outside in the greenhouse yet, only thing I can think of is the lack of sunlight: my grass isn't growing either, I normally get a first cut in during March it's now the 2nd half of April and I still haven't cut it.

Same here on the chilli front. Put 3 types of seeds in the propagator, none of my mini meanies germinated, only one of the habeneros and whilst loads of the others (can't remember the name) germinated they all got to an inch high and stopped growing.

I’d say about 8 of mine didn’t germinate but I still have 24 ranging in size from just sprouted to 6/7 inch tall. So I’m very happy with that.

I have a tobasco plant that I overwintered, its looking nice a healthy, wondered if I should put out in the greenhouse or leave in the spare room where it is now (gets sun in the afternoon).

We overwintered some habaneros that aren't looking to healthy. They went outside into pots this weekend

Back