SodaStream Adapter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jammybstard

Reaction score
Hi all

I cant get through to my Gas people (Woodlands in thirsk) and i'm nearly out.
So I might have to switch to Sodastream Cylinders for a while.
Has anyone using one of these adapters? anything I should consider at all? looks straight-forward enough.

1588850764284.png
1588850819472.png
1588850851512.png

I use one and it works well. However it is rather unnerving when it starts hissing and CO2 coming out when connecting the bottle to the regulator you need to hold your nerve and keep screwing until it stops.

I using priming sugar in my 9.5L kegs and find one soda stream cylinder can dispense about 8 9.5L kegs, if you want to force carb I suspect it would be a lot less.

Thanks.
I've just started brewing again after 7 years off and quite a bit has changed. You couldn't get sodastream adapters last time I looked. I've just noticed BOC deliver to individuals now! might give that a go instead. what's a good price for a 6.5Kg refill these days? BOC is 31 quid +3 per month

Just to let anyone who stumbles across this know, Woodlands in thirsk called me back. They are still open. 10am untill 2PM Mon, Tues, Wed and fridays.
£20.50 for a refill

Make sure you wear gloves when screwing on the bottle...CO2 sprays everywhere! I had been using SodaStream cylinders for a couple of years, but now cannot get refills and have to buy a new cylinder. This was the final straw, so I took the plunge and got a Hobbyweld cylinder as recommended by Banlord. Much better, I should have done this before rather than waste time and money on faffing about with SodaStream!

On the cylinder adapter …

I have one of those and have used it as an adapter to use a Sodastream cylinder and to fill a Sodastream cylinder. I do put an extra squishy silicon washer in to prevent the initial release of gas (had to be silicon because they are not so sensitive to having the thickness just right).

They are slightly trickier than the 90° adapter (with knob to turn on and off) because you may have to adjust the pin (before assembly) that opens the cylinder. If too short the gas wont come out, and if too long it stops the gas coming out too. The 90° adapters are not too good either; turning the knob on and off quickly causes the tiny O-rings to fail and leak.

I have one as a backup, but they're a bit of a pain. Can take a while to get them adjusted the first time you use them so they push down the pin on the Sodastream bottle just enough. I too use Woodlands in Thirsk (who are great), and lasts me years rather than months for the same cost.

Latest posts

Back