Sodastream

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funnyday

Reaction score
Can you use a SodaStream to carbonate the lager? Instead of using sugar in each bottle.

I think if you put anything other than water in a sodastream it will foam all over the place. Never tried it, if you dont mind doing a bit of a clean up then you could give it a go. You would need to drink it fairly quickly as it will be badly oxidised.

Someone on one of the Facebook brewing forums has done it, but from the video he put up I think he’ll be getting oxidation galore in the 2L bottle he was decanting into the Sodastream bottle from.

It’s a private group (Home Brew UK) so I can’t link it.

I saw it somewhere that SodaStream in Germany was advertising them to be used to carbonate wine. So if it's good enough for wine. Then why not beer.

Tbh I dont keg but have read a huge amount of threads on the sugject. If it's possible I bet it would be expensive. If you want to force carbonate I think buying some corny kegs and sourcing large bottles of C02 would be the easiest and cheapest route. If it was easy/cheap to use soda steam we'd have loads of threads on it, which we dont. Where as we have huge amounts of threads on cornys

It doesn't work. I've tried it. The experiment cost me plenty. Is there any other way to carb a single bottle?
other than the usual.

It really is more hassle than its worth. Just prime the batch with sugar and bottle normally. I have tried carbing soft drinks and flat beer with my co2 tank and a carb cap. In theory, it works but I could never quite get it right. Or should I say I could never get the carb levels right. It could end up costing you a batch.

It doesn't work. I've tried it. The experiment cost me plenty. Is there any other way to carb a single bottle?
other than the usual.
I carb up single plastic PET bottles (usually 500ml ones) alongside my kegs so I can give some away - I use a carbonation cap which clicks on the ball lock disconnects for my kegs.

I mainly use the carb caps for making fizzy water and caring other soft drinks and the odd bottle of cheap white wine. Cheap white makes the best fake champagne (have you tried flat champagne?)

I’ve done it a few times and it does work but don’t do it like you do with water - i.e. bottle in, blast it until it farts and then drink. You will have a mess and a sticky machine to clean inside and out.

Use very cold beer, gas very gently just until it ‘clicks’. Wait a few minutes and another gentle press. The moment the foam rises stop. Repeat 3 or 4 times. Leave for 10 mins then release the bottle. Gently. Really only good to get a carbed sample a few days earlier than normal rather than a regular thing.

Latest posts

Back