Some ginger beer advice please?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16611

Reaction score
I've not been in the brewing game for too long. A grand total of four beer kits (drinking two, conditioning one and fermenting another) and two turbo ciders (both conditioning). Anyway, last week I thought I'd try to make an alcoholic ginger beer, and am looking for some advice.

1. It's fermented down to 0.998 within a week, and the airlock has more or less stopped bubbling altogether. Should I bottle it now, leave it in the demijohn for another week or so, or rack off to another demijohn?
  2. I tasted a sip when measuring the FG, and it's a bit too acid - the lemon is quite dominent. Will back sweetening with Sucralose help this, or is there something else I can do?

In case you are interested, this was my recipe:

Approx 1kg ginger, grated
Tbsp dried ginger
1 lemon and 1 lime, zested and squeezed, then chucked in with rest of ingredients
Pinch of dried chilli flakes
500 grams table sugar

All boiled in about two litres of water. Strained in to a demijohn and the ingredients rinsed the ingredients with cooled boiled water, which was then added to the demijohn, leaving about 500 ml headroom (in case it got too foamy!). I topped this up with water after about three days. I used Wilko Gervine ale yeast, and included a teaspoonful each of pectolase and yeast nutrient.

Appreciate any advice you can give!

Thanks,

George

Latest posts

Back