Spent hops and Spent Grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewberoza said:
tommidolcetto said:
Gonna try the granola. Any tips on using that recipe Brewberoza?

yeah just make sure it is pretty flat in the oven. That way it will dry out easier.

Oh yeah!
This recipe will work for grains made from porter but the burnt malt tastes do come through every couple of mouthfuls. Learn this the last time after brewing a robust porter. Would be best I think on recipe with little to no dark malts.

Just made some. Not completely to recipe, used what I had to hand, no spelt just wholemeal flour with seeds, dates and sultanas plus golden syrup. Yes had to flatten it out after a bit in oven, will try and dry spent grain better next time.
It's pretty tasty warm, will see what it's like cool and broken up.

Grain was from a pale ale, making a wheat beer next time so will try again then with spelt.

My hops go in my compost bin.

The spent grain I use when I go carp fishing. I use it as a bed of food and fish on top.

I know a few local breweries that give there grain away to local farms for the pigs.

ArmChair said:

The spent grain I use when I go carp fishing. I use it as a bed of food and fish on top.

I know a few local breweries that give there grain away to local farms for the pigs.

I don't understand. Is it like a bed or bait?

Brewberoza said:
ArmChair said:

I scatter a load on the bottam on the lake bed and fish on top of it :D

ArmChair said:
Brewberoza said:
ArmChair said:

I scatter a load on the bottam on the lake bed and fish on top of it :D

I've used my spent grain for groundbait aswell, the trout seemed to like it!

I made a stout at the weekend, spent grains took a good few hours to dry in the oven (wanted to make sure they were fully dry this time as they went musty last time I tried), and then made some bread with it. The dark grains made the bread quite dark but it was very tasty. Made two more since then as it's gone down a treat! Not bitter at all like I'd imagined.

jkp said:
I made a stout at the weekend, spent grains took a good few hours to dry in the oven (wanted to make sure they were fully dry this time as they went musty last time I tried), and then made some bread with it. The dark grains made the bread quite dark but it was very tasty. Made two more since then as it's gone down a treat! Not bitter at all like I'd imagined.

Don't suppose you reused some of your brewing yeast for the bread?

Do you think used hops would keep cats off my garden? I'm sick of having to pick cat sh*te up off my lawn!

I know some smells can out them off, but I'm sick of the smell of Jeyes fluid to keep them away.

I've tried pepper, curry powder, anti cat powder, I brought some of the anti cat spikes for the fence and then watched the cat walk along them!!!

:x

mattyhall22 said:
Do you think used hops would keep cats off my garden? I'm sick of having to pick cat sh*te up off my lawn!

I know some smells can out them off, but I'm sick of the smell of Jeyes fluid to keep them away.

I've tried pepper, curry powder, anti cat powder, I brought some of the anti cat spikes for the fence and then watched the cat walk along them!!!

:x

I suppose if you throw the spent hops hard enough the cats might be scared off :grin:

Brewberoza said:
Granola is great because it use a LOT of the spent grain. Goes exceedingly well with rice dream instead of ordinary milk and I use desecrated coconuts in the recipe.

Sound like rather a godless thing to do. :rofl:

I've been wondering if hops used for dry hoping had anything left in them for bittering?

My local council takes all your waste food for recycling into compost. I simply bag up my spent grains and hops with the rest of our waste food.

Latest posts

Back