Splitting An All Grain.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
I did my first part grain yesterday,, a dark rock kit. All went well and I feel confident in progressing to an all grain next. I have Doom Bar clone that will make 23L. Now my thinking is because I have a 20L pan is to split the kit into two 11.5L batches. My question is because the pre-milled grains are of different coarse size (the smaller pieces tend to be at the bottom of the bags) will it make a difference to the brews if I just split these by weight ? Or does the more powdery grains contain more sugars ect.. Or am I just over thinking things 🧐..

It would take a little longer, but you could always do a full volume mash then split it before the boil. It would make for a longer brew day, but then you would have all 23 L of lovely Doom Bar bubbling away! Haha

I think I'd max out your pan,say to 17 litres,make adjustments for your hops,then do what's called liquoring back...make up the volume in your fv with water.
I was also thinking this along with doing a full to the brim mash, removing some for the boil and adding it back during the boil. The name of this method eludes me though!

That's how I do it too. The limiting factor will be the mash, are you doing BIAB or do you have a separate mash tun? I do BIAB and there's only so much I can get in my 15L pan.

Reason I was thinking of splitting it is because it will be my 1st AG brew so it be easier to manage doing it i11.5L, also if I mess up it’s a smaller batch and doing 2 batches would be good practice. Am I right in thinking the size of the particles would make a difference?

Now my thinking is because I have a 20L pan is to split the kit into two 11.5L batches.

I do 10 - 11 lts BiaB and heard great things about Dark Rock kits so I've been thinking the same way about splitting the pack in two.

I think the way to do the grain is to place it all into a large plastic trug style bucket and stir around so all the grain is properly mixed up, then take half out and use that for the split brew, it might not be exact but it should be close enough.

I do 10 - 11 lts BiaB and heard great things about Dark Rock kits so I've been thinking the same way about splitting the pack in two.

I think the way to do the grain is to place it all into a large plastic trug style bucket and stir around so all the grain is properly mixed up, then take half out and use that for the split brew, it might not be exact but it should be close enough.
Good tip 👍🏽.... If it does make a difference I suppose I could also run the grain through a sieve and then split half the course and fine grain 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Back