St Peters Ruby Red Ale review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This kit is my favourite. I think I have done around 30+ brews over the past 3 years, and after much experimentation, I have arrived at adding half a kilo of demorarer sugar and the results for me have been superb. Really superb, I mean REALLY SUPERB! it comes in at about 5.8%abv. But the flavour (for me) is a perfect balance between malt and hops, truly superb!

bottled it 5 weeks ago, used a hop bag as well for a week, the brew took nearly two to finish.smelt deliciously hoppy but didn't taste too bitter when I bottled it.

Due home next weekend, looking forward to it.

Bottled this one in mid-May and sampled over the weekend. It's only the second two-can kit I've done but I think it is a very nicely balanced kit with decent bitterness and great hop flavour. I brewed a bit short to 20.5 litres and came out with a ABV of just over 5%. I batch primed with 110g sugar before bottling, which is just enough for my taste. Good head retention and nice lacing down the glass. Will definitely brew again!

Just put this on Wednesday. My second ever brew. Got it sat in the fermentation fridge at a steady 18C. Checked it yesterday and its already put a large bow in the FV lid, even though I have an airlock in. Going much more strongly than the lager I did first time round. The wait is killing me already.

Tasted it last night, been in the bottle since late May, fookin ansum! I need to try and drink responsibly!

I left a bag of hops in for about 6 days too, very hoppy, great flavour.

If I'm fermenting this at 18C should I give it a diacetyl rest at say 22 for a few days once fermentation is complete? I plan on crashing it to 2 or 3C for a week once complete before bottling but just wondering if the rest would help clean it up.

Just bottled this last night, brewed full limit. One thing though, I was amazed at the amount of gunge left in the fermenter when I transferred it into a new container per bottling it. Anyone else noticed that?
Anyhow load of bottles done , now the wait which by all previous accounts on here should be 4 weeks !!!!

Had a few of these over the weekend and they are superb. It looks fantastic and even my beer buddy who only drinks bought beer was impressed. It's amazingly similar to some of the high end bottled beers bought at good shops. Will be using this again

My second brew

Did it straight can perhaps slightly short on the water but did manage to get a 40th bottle out of it

OG was about 1042 and FG 1012 I bottled on exactly 3 weeks

I batched primed with 130 Dextrose in about 200ml boiled water

had a bottle at 1 and a bit weeks and 2½ weeks and already it is very nice and looking very promising

There is a bit of a sweetness to it and he hop has a bitterness and like it says a slight spice..

The head and body are great. Hearing those of you say it improves about week 6-8 sound promising!! :thumb:

I would certainly recommend it and keep the temps low:thumb:

My first post here. And first attempt at home brewing. Had the RRA in the fv for two weeks at temps between 20-22.brewed short to 20litres.Bottled it with half tea spoon of brewers sugar at fg of1.009 and kept it inside for 10 days. Forgot to take og. Left it outside for about 5 hours. Sampled 3 bottles with a few friends. They all liked it. Can't believe how good it tasted. Good head and almost clear. Can't see it lasting to much longer.
Got lots of answers to my questions from reading this forum. Thanks. Pete.

My first post here. And first attempt at home brewing. Had the RRA in the fv for two weeks at temps between 20-22.brewed short to 20litres.Bottled it with half tea spoon of brewers sugar at fg of1.009 and kept it inside for 10 days. Forgot to take og. Left it outside for about 5 hours. Sampled 3 bottles with a few friends. They all liked it. Can't believe how good it tasted. Good head and almost clear. Can't see it lasting to much longer.
Got lots of answers to my questions from reading this forum. Thanks. Pete.

I've just had some issues with St. Peter's Ruby Ale that started at 1042 and got stuck at 1022 after 6 days. Tried stirring it up - nothing - and the airlock had totally flat lined. I contacted muntons and they sent over a sachet of enzyme which went in on day 12. That kick started it and it then went faster than it seemed to on the original fermentation (more than 2 bubbles a minute through the airlock) for about 7 days. The instructions stated that the whole brew should only be 4-6 days.

Just kegged it with the SG at 1002!!! I'm a bit worried that the enzymes have over done it and it's going to ruin it. Has anyone else had any issues like this, and hopefully with a good result?

Mine bottomed out at 1012 I think, I think the instructions say 1014 or below but the instructions are sparse and not much cop on St Peters kits anyway.

I must admit it does seem low especially for this kit which actually has a nice body with it..

I am sure it will taste okay just seem how it goes, I would try one in a few weeks. I tried one of mine after 2 and it was drinkable then. Did you try a sample out of FV? I normally take a swig from the dregs of my bottling bucket.

Funny enough I had an original Ruby red last weekend it was given to me by a work mate who had a load and needed to get rid of some as they were close to their sell by date.. I don't know if age had affected it but it was very dark and I actually much preferred my own, it was still okay and nice if a little bitter.

The kit makes a very nice pint. Malty Fruity and I get that spicy hop finish.. I am sure you will enjoy yours.. by the sounds of things yours will be about 5.3%

Mine bottomed out at 1012 I think, I think the instructions say 1014 or below but the instructions are sparse and not much cop on St Peters kits anyway.

I must admit it does seem low especially for this kit which actually has a nice body with it..

I am sure it will taste okay just seem how it goes, I would try one in a few weeks. I tried one of mine after 2 and it was drinkable then. Did you try a sample out of FV? I normally take a swig from the dregs of my bottling bucket.

Funny enough I had an original Ruby red last weekend it was given to me by a work mate who had a load and needed to get rid of some as they were close to their sell by date.. I don't know if age had affected it but it was very dark and I actually much preferred my own, it was still okay and nice if a little bitter.

The kit makes a very nice pint. Malty Fruity and I get that spicy hop finish.. I am sure you will enjoy yours.. by the sounds of things yours will be about 5.3%

I had a little taster but I typically find that I don't much like the taste of any of the beers pre-conditioning. opefully it'll turn out ok :pray:!

Your right on the strength, I worked out it'll come to 5.2%. I'll let you all know how it is in a couple of weeks, but considering how highly everyone speaks of it I think I'm going to have to get another to compare against this one, whether mine is any good or not.

Just about to bottle my first ever batch which is a St Peter's Ruby Red.

Now a 4 weeks wait. :roll:

I'veI had this kit in the pb two weeks now, little taste is promising if not amazing. A way off clear and more like tawny red than ruby.
Had a start gravity of 1040, hit 1014 after just 4 or 5 days. Even with a stir no change in gravity after two weeks. At a steady 19ºC the whole time. By my reckoning that's a fair bit lower than the stated abv. I had a St Peters cream stout that did the same thing, but tasted lovely. Not sure I'll be trying another St Peters kit any time soon...

I'veI had this kit in the pb two weeks now, little taste is promising if not amazing. A way off clear and more like tawny red than ruby.
Had a start gravity of 1040, hit 1014 after just 4 or 5 days. Even with a stir no change in gravity after two weeks. At a steady 19ºC the whole time. By my reckoning that's a fair bit lower than the stated abv. I had a St Peters cream stout that did the same thing, but tasted lovely. Not sure I'll be trying another St Peters kit any time soon...

My RR went from about 1042 to about 1012, I batch primed with 130 dex so I reckon in the end it came out about 4.2.

My kits rarely seem to get down to the stated abv.

What lenght did you brew?

I'd have to check to be exact, but around two weeks. In my mind the kits have x amount of sugar, which will produce x amount of alcohol. Surely if made up to the given volume with water the abv should be pretty damn close. Unless for some reason the yeast can't feed on all the sugar, but then if the yeast has stopped doing its thing how does the brew undergo secondary fermentation? A question for its own thread maybe...

This will be my next brew (No 4) and as I'm kind of accustomed to stronger beers now living in France (the choice is fizzy lagers at 5° or more or Belgian beer or more usually, exotic craft beer in the emerging scene here in Paris) I'll be adding some yeast food (DME/golden syrup and/or honey) and brewing short to about 20ltrs. This also reduces the number of bottles required and the number of trips to the bathroom :thumb: I will also be hopping it in some way,,, either a hop tea or dry hopping or both,,, I'll keep you posted. :hat:

Back