Stainless Steel Fermenters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you get better beer if you ferment in stainless steel?

• Yes

• No

• Don't know

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
Since you asked about bucket replacements, these are not too bad, given that they have a cone at the bottom and a dump valve (which the SS Brewtech bucket is missing)

https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-Ap...4-Stainless-Steel-With-yeast-drain-valve.html
these are also interesting

https://www.brewtools.com/miniuni/7713097/miniuni-30-tank-with-basic-accessories
in Germany, this guy sells domed (conical) kettles. They can be used as fermenters as well

https://www.crafthardware.de/en
There are plenty of other options out there...
Klarstein, brew devil etc seem to be identical. I'm sure they are all made in the same factory in China and just a different logo stuck on it. This is identical to my brewdevil one

go back to what though...there are no alternatives to plastic. It has been instrumental in enabling our modern lives. Its everywhere and touches everything in our lives, which is why if there was a significant health issue with it then people would be dropping like flies and yet we're living longer than ever before despite plastic being an integral part of our lives.
Just like oil...

Just like oil...
yep, and plastic is a direct byproduct of the petrochemical industry.

Our modern world is equally reliant on both.

The production of all other materials you might want to replace plastic with, like steel, are equally reliant on oil and petrochemical industry products.

TMM have just posted this on Facebook which is exciting!

Screenshot_20230412_190528_Facebook.jpg

TMM have just posted this on Facebook which is exciting!

View attachment 84349
Yep. That's identical to the one I have (brew devil) and the klarstein mentioned above:
Klarstein, brew devil etc seem to be identical. I'm sure they are all made in the same factory in China and just a different logo stuck on it. This is identical to my brewdevil one
On the plus side, they are really nice. I'm really pleased with mine

If plastic is as dangerous as some would have us believe we are all already doomed next time you do your monthly shop count how many items don't come in plastic containers or wrapper it'll not be a big number, i think its another one of those things i will not worry about at my age.

The chiller coil is handy. I managed to score a Maxi110 for £70 (thermostat gone). Installed a STC1000 instead and connected a SSR to control the faucet pump to circulate chilled water through the coil.

So much for a poor man's glycol chiller (I only need to control one fermenter anyways).

Pleased to note it is more efficient than a fridge.

PS: fermenter has insulation jacket

Very happy with that setup.

Downside:. A Maxi110 ain't shiny 😭

l have a glass of some sort in the house we tend not to choose to drink from a plastic "glass" most of us brew in a plastic FV as a SS FV is an expensive option but one I imagine all of us would choose if they were only £10 dearer than a plastic FV.

The chiller coil is handy. I managed to score a Maxi110 for £70 (thermostat gone). Installed a STC1000 instead and connected a SSR to control the faucet pump to circulate chilled water through the coil.

So much for a poor man's glycol chiller (I only need to control one fermenter anyways).

Pleased to note it is more efficient than a fridge.

PS: fermenter has insulation jacket

Very happy with that setup.

Downside:. A Maxi110 ain't shiny 😭

Yup. I have purchased a coil to install this year. After the heat of last year, I need cooling. Tbh if I was tempted. This would be the one. Conical is still unnecessary tho.

It won't be a maxi though, first test is a chilled reservoir in the fridge.

Great thank you AG.

I don't give Brulosophy any of my time, his experiments don't mean anything to me and don't prove anything.

They prove a lot. On that day with the given variables and testers the results are what they are. He makes this very clear and this your statement is a little harsh IMO.

Regarding stainless, it can improve quality but only if you have fundamental issues with hygiene.

Fermenting under pressure in PET vs a plastic bucket, well that’s another conversation.

They prove a lot. On that day with the given variables and testers the results are what they are. He makes this very clear and this your statement is a little harsh IMO.
about as scientific as a cosmetic advert saying 65 people thought it made x look better. Not scientifically or statistically rigorous enough to get in a peer reviewed journal. It's just kitchen science, but entertaining, food for thought and wasteful of a few pinches of salt.

Latest posts

Back