Sterilizers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave7

Reaction score
Hi, Just after some help. With sterilizers everyone says Star San is the best but it seems a tad bit expensive. Seen Brew Safe sanitiser looks to be great value but is it any good

Star San no rinse cleaner steriliser - 473ml £25.01

Brew Safe cleaner steriliser no-rinse 1kg £11.60

Or is the any other cheap no rinse sterilisers. Thanks for your advice

I suggest you look in other shops starsan can be had for alot less plus you use 3 ml in every 2 litres of water

yes can be bought much cheaper and a bottle will last you at least 2 years or more it works out very cheap in the long term

Star san re-usable cool. As Iam starting out so fill fermentation bucket add star san use the water to clean equipment then fill pressure barrel jobs a good one.
Star san it is.
Thanks all

Malt miller do their own version which is cheaper.
I buy oxi,sodium percarbonate,off eBay. 5kg for £20. This is used to clean my kit. I then sterilise with starsan.

I've just had a look at alternative sanitisers,found this. ..
One gallon of water
One teaspoon of bleach (cheap,thin stuff)
One teaspoon of white distilled vinegar
Add bleach and vinegar to the water,do not mix together first or you will produce chlorine gas!
After cleaning wipe or rinse your kit with the mixture,no rinse required.

So bleach / Vinegar windows open ha ha Thanks
The bleach, water vinegar thing even kills anthrax, which is wow - it's all to do with the pH drop from the vinegar making bleach into a nuclear wessel and I even made a spreadsheet for it based on the bleach concentration. but at the end of the day thin bleach brands are inconsistent (tested!) and will contain surfactants (bubbling...) and other jizz.

The first time I did this intial bleach/vinegar mix worked amazingly for a few months, then a new bottle of the same brand and concentration bleach frothed when the bottle was shaken and caused phenol problems when using it unrinsed

Get starsan. I use Talley bleach all the time but unless you know the bleach supplier is perfect then get a reliable no-rinse sanitiser.

Last edited:
pedants corner...
its a sanitiser not a steriliser technically. otherwise it'd be called starster which sounds like a bad car from the nineties. good though. i tend to scrub with straight starsan then dilute. get some hardcore beasties up here in rural scotland..

I use Sodium Percarbonate, too. As it's the same as Vanish, the wife uses it on the washing as well!!

That's the one Bezza..free next day delivery if you order early enough. Comes in a poly bag so I got a small bucket with a snap shut lid.

Last edited:
650g of oxiclean in Poundland. The unscented stuff. Works great on gummed up airlocks and the krausen that sticks to the top of demijohns. Same strength as all the others.

I got some Poundland oxi but could still detect a "laundry" smell about it...also the ingredients list also says "amongst other ..." So it's for non brewing use now...it does work but I couldn't be doing with the extra rinsing to make sure...

I got some Poundland oxi but could still detect a "laundry" smell about it...also the ingredients list also says "amongst other ..." So it's for non brewing use now...it does work but I couldn't be doing with the extra rinsing to make sure...
Wonder if it's the same brand. I'm pretty sure it's Astonish. Even when I get the one in my mouth from sucking it through airlocks it just tastes salty and there's no real smell to it.

Back