Stir Before Bottling?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanobrfc

Reaction score
Evening All!

Bottling my first ever brew tonight and would like some advice on this. It's St Peters IPA, which has come out at 5.93% (OG 1058 FG 1012), though the kit said 5.5%.

I am using coopers carbonation drops so will be going straight into my 500ml PET bottles.

Before I do this, do you have to stir the beer? Or should I leave it alone and let the beer pour straight in?

If it is best to leave it alone, is each pour going to be 'equally alcoholic'?

Apologies if any of these are stupid questions, first ever brew and want to get it right!

Thank you,

Sam.

Don't stir it Sam you'll just lift the trub and it'll end up in your bottled beer, just syphon into the bottles taking care not to disturb the yeast cake, unless your using a bottling wand on a tap that is. it'll all have the same abv don't worry about that.

Thanks!

Was laughing as I wrote it too, but couldn't think of a better way to put it!

Will each bottle then be roughly the same abv?

Don't stir it Sam you'll just lift the trub and it'll end up in your bottled beer, just syphon into the bottles taking care not to disturb the yeast cake, unless your using a bottling wand on a tap that is. it'll all have the same abv don't worry about that.

Thank you! Won't be stirring it.

For my information, what is 'trub'? Is that the sediment at the bottom below tap level?

Using a bottling wand off the FV tap - when it gets to the level of the yeast on the top, should this go into bottles or should I leave it?

For my information, what is 'trub'? Is that the sediment at the bottom below tap level?

Using a bottling wand off the FV tap - when it gets to the level of the yeast on the top, should this go into bottles or should I leave it?

It's alcohol by volume, all the wort is the same strength, you will never get higher/lower spots.

Yes trub is the sediment at he bottom. You don't want to get this in your bottles.

You'll find that you reach the level of the tap inside the FV and of course the beer will stop coming out so have your last 4-5 bottles next to you and gently tilt the FV towards the tap without disturbing the yeast too much, you'll be able to see it clearly. Just tilt progressively until you empty the FV the yeast will stay behind more or less intact. The trick is to not tilt it back to level at any time hence having your bottles close to hand. Let us know how you got on.

You'll find that you reach the level of the tap inside the FV and of course the beer will stop coming out so have your last 4-5 bottles next to you and gently tilt the FV towards the tap without disturbing the yeast too much, you'll be able to see it clearly. Just tilt progressively until you empty the FV the yeast will stay behind more or less intact. The trick is to not tilt it back to level at any time hence having your bottles close to hand. Let us know how you got on.

Got on well in the end! Bottled at 1012, around 6%. Got 37 bottles so just need to condition them now!

Tilting tip was very useful to get the last couple of bottles - thank you!

Latest posts

Back