Storing hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamGladstone99

Reaction score
How do you store vacuum sealed hops once they have been opened? I placed mine in an air-tight bag and placed them in the fridge. Would I be better to put them in the freezer? And will they then be like frozen food: once thawed they must be used in their entirety since they cannot be re-frozen?

Unopened packs I keep in the fridge, once opened they go into the freezer. I take what I need and they then go back into the freezer.
Not had a problem.
RD

I have a vacuum sealer. Any unused hops are bagged and sealed and then put back in the freezer.

oops I've been keeping mine in seeled tuppawear pots in my garage! Its been at fridge temps to be fair lol. How long would these keep for? I guess i should get them straight into the freezer asap then!?

markmark said:
I have a vacuum sealer. Any unused hops are bagged and sealed and then put back in the freezer.
+1

Code:
oops I've been keeping mine in seeled tuppawear pots in my garage! Its been at fridge temps to be fair lol. How long would these keep for? I guess i should get them straight into the freezer asap then!?
I would and put them in a bag with the air removes ad much as possible.

joe1002 said:
markmark said:
+1

Code:
I would and put them in a bag with the air removes ad much as possible.

I do just this.freezer bags with the press tops, remove excess air in the bag and freeze

Hops in the freezer don't actually freeze since they are dried. So I don't think there is any concern with them thawing and being refrozen. I only take out what I need though so I don't see why it's an issue.

A quick add on to this.

Once I've frozen hops what can or should i ask what can't i use them for?

If i freeze them can i use them as bittering hops or should i only then use them for aroma?

Latest posts

Back