Subsituting lager malt for pale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyCaner

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening guys,

I'm thinking of starting a Christmas beer next Sunday, something dark and spicy, maybe some chocolate. I've got a big bag of lager malt in, no pale.

Any reason I shouldn't just substitute the pale malt with lager malt? Anyone else tried this?

Cheers,

DirtyC

A guy in our club only brews with lager malts, and has come out with some cracking stouts and porters, he just compensates for the lighter colour with the darker malts.

I've just made a batch up with Munich, lager and crystal (using the Lager instead of Maris Otter). Smells good (used cascade hops only, 25% 90, 25% 30, 25% 15, 25% flameout) and is already bubbling away after using some S04 reclaimed from last weeks brew. Aiming for an APA style brew after some reseach on the web!

Like nick says the real point of lager malt is you can make much lighter beers with it. There's no stopping you darkening it to the same degree as an ale!

Whether it's as good as 100% maris otter in terms of the final product I don't know, but I do know many people brew with a 50/50 combo of lager and pale :thumb:

Back